New PSU, now only boots in safe mode?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olly8000, Dec 15, 2005.

1. olly8000

olly8000 Private E-2

Hi all,
    As the headline goes, I went and got a new PSU, an Antec truepower 2.0 550W. I put it in the box and now my pc refuses to start up in anything but safe mode.

In normal mode it gets to the "Windows XP" loading screen then the screen goes black and the monitor switches off, whether it actually loads up behind the blank screen I'm not sure, the number lock light's up, but pressing ctrl+alt+delete numerous times didn't shut it down so I'm guessing not.

Prior to this I've had no similar problems with this mobo till now (k7n2 delta 2 FSR), but a not dissimilar one with my old board because of a mismatch between the frquency of the CPU (Athlon xp 1800+, 266mhz) and the RAM (generic 2*256Mb, 333mhz), but I can't see how a new PSU would cause this! I also can't seem to manually set the RAM speed to 266 so I'm relying on SPD.

The only other thing of course is the graphics card Geforce 5200FX), but I then wouldn't expect the safe mode to work? The mobo is set to use the AGP slot so I can't think of anything else to do with it, unfortunately I haven't got a spare PCI card to test.

I have tried resettling the graphics card and the RAM as well as resetting the bios to no avail.I've also tried each individual RAM stick on it's own.

I am getting an Athlon xp 3200+ and new 400mhz RAM for xmas :), which might fix the problem, but if it doesn't I might just cry ;) so any ideas?

I hope it's clear, I've tried to cover everything, but if there are any doubts/questions please let me know!

Thanks
    Olly

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum olly:) Dont cry m8 :)

I know how much it sucks when you cant work out whats wrong with your computer,even if we dont fix it we can pretend we are ;)

lets you forget the fact you just installed a psu 'thats a mighty beefy psu for your system BTW' and attack symptom you have which seems like your video driver or similar has become corrupt-somehow!!

Go into safe mode go to add\remove programs and uninstall nvidia drivers,restart your computer,dont try and load into windows yet just keep going into safe mode using f8,download this program

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Cleaner_Professional_d3214.html

Intall the program while in safe mode and run it you dont need to restart,select nvidia graphics drivers and clean then restart your computer,after the restart download and install this driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.95.html

after the restart let windows load normally ie dont press f8

see how you go on:)

3. olly8000

olly8000 Private E-2

Thanks mate, that seemed to do the trick, every day's a learning experience!

Oh, and yeah I know the PSU's a bit heavy duty, but I always aim on the safe side ;) and besides one day I'll want to upgrade to a 64bit processor and a pci-e system (or whatever's good!), which I'm guessing is going to eat juice like candy! :)

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Np M8 :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds