New quad build, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Jun 29, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, this will be a modest quad build as I don't need or want bleeding edge performance, I rarely game and I won't be OC'ing either. I just want a nice stable rig. The price is basically the same for each duo, the only thing I see that I don't like about the Phenom is that it has half the cache of the Intel which is 8MB. I'll also get 4GB of RAM even though I won't be running x64 anything on this rig. Oh, one other thing, I'll be transplanting my EVGA 7600GT to this new one. I think that's it. All opinions welcome and thanks.

Intel:

ASUS P5K ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI 1PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box

AMD:

ASUS M2N-E ATX AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Processor Socket AM2 2.5GHZ 4MB Cache 125W Retail Box

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

I run the intel quad and it's very stable with low temps. The phenom I have had the chance to play with a little also, and although the cache is smaller it doesn't seem to suffer much in real world use. Both are very responsive. I'm personally just partial to Intel since I multitask WAY too much :) Just make sure you power which ever rig with a name brand power supply. I've seen more unstable pc's due to lack of clean power. Hope I helped a little :)

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Look for better cooling for the Q6600. Stock cooler bites. The TR True is what I use.

Not familar with the AMD chip, so no comment there. I would lean towards the Intel chip, but I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

E

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I would aim towards the Intel as well and you should have a build ready for their Octa Core when it comes out and prices stabilise a bit. The best reference I have found for motherboards at the moment is:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2067695&enterthread=y

Quite well researched and referenced, the P5K Deluxe is on there. I also agree with Fred that you may want an after market cooler.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks for the opinions all. :) I just ordered the Intel today and hopefully Paypal won't delay the process as they say 6-8 business days for payment from a Canadian bank. Aack! Whatever happened to computer transactions? I now have ants in my pants as I haven't built a rig in three years! New toy and all.:-D

6. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Too late to look at benchmarks now is it?

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=735

Both similarly priced chips are neck & neck in gaming, but Phenom seems to excel at some mundane tasks. However, the Q6600 consumes a tad less power at idle so in the long run you might save on electricity. The M2N-E should be discontinued and ASUS M3A should be used at a minimum for AM2+.

7. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

keep us posted on the build augie :) mine runs like a dream :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds