New RAM causing crashes...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kibble, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Hey all,

Here's a quick personal history of my RAM situation as of today. I am experiencing huge issues with my new stuff and I really don't know why.

About 2 weeks ago, I was having random crashes on my computer. It would just freeze up completely and have to reboot. I figured it was RAM, so I swapped my sticks out, but as I did so, I read that I had a stick of PC3200 and a stick of PC2100, while I had thought I had 2 3200's. Anyway, I took out the stick of PC2100 and just ran off the PC3200, and I was crash free.

Anyway, today I went out to a local computer shop and picked up 2 new sticks of samsung PC3200 512MB to boost up my computer. I got home, super-stoked, plugged in the RAM, booted up. Everything seemed to be going ok. FreeRamXP showed I had all 3 sticks installed and running. Anyway, I loaded up MSN and I had a huge crash. It froze up within the first minute, and when I tried to reboot, I couldn't get past post.

At this point I was confused. I have 4 RAM slots, each able to hold a 1gig stick (according to mobo documentation). They are all the same size/speed/brand of RAM. I figured it must be my older stick of RAM that was acting up, so I took it out and tried to boot off my 2 new sticks. No dice.

I gave up on my 2 new sticks of RAM and tried the good ol' PC3200 that I was running off of before, and voila, she booted right up. (This is how I am posting this~~)

Anyway, I do have a Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool I booted from CD with and tested all 3 sticks. I found no errors on one of my new sticks, but a ton on the other, and a couple on my older PC3200. I tried booting off of each stick on its own, and both new RAM didn't work, while my old RAM did.

Anyway, I have no idea whats going on. I made sure I was grounded, so I'm counting out the possibility that I fried something on install. Im just wondering if there is anything else anybody can think of that I can do to reset some settings or maybe get my computer to give my new RAM a little more love.

The only problems I can imagine are a) the new RAM is both faulty or b) some setting in my BIOS doesn't want to accept the new RAM/I have the clock speeds of the PC2100 still kicking around somewhere.

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the long read :p

--Kibb

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

not knowing what the rest of your system is i can only speculate but some boards you have to reset bios when you change ram for it to recognize it properly. give it a try

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Provide Details on your system.
    Provide exact Brand /model of your Memory.

You might need to manually configure your memory timings & voltage.
    Memory errors can occur due to incorrect Timmings & Voltage settings.

Some MOBO's/Chipsets dont like particular memory chips if you post your spec's that might help determine if thats your problem.

4. Kibble

Crap, thats right. I'm running:
    ASUS A7V800 Mobo
    AMD XP 3200+ CPU
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    WD 80GB HD

And my 3 sticks of Samsung 512MB PC3200 400mhz RAM, OEM from the store I frequent~.

Oh by the way, my computer actually no longer can run. It isn't liking the old ram now either. I'm typing this from downstairs.

Thanks Geeks~~ :D

--Kibb

5. Kibble

Update:

I took out my mobo battery and reset the whole thing. Redid the time, boot priority, ect. Still no dice.

Didn't think RAM could be such a hassle :p

--Kibb

6. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

See if you can find docs for your motherboard... some systems are real picky about which slots are left empty. Also, if you have any socketed chips, be sure to re-seat them and all the plug-in boards. I've seen a technician work miracles on a balky system with that simple trick.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Did you have any problems like shut down or restarts before your memory?
    What kind of PSU are ya running? ya might test it before anything else.

Try reset CMOS again, ya might even leave the battery out over night.
    Then just try with one stick.

Here's a BIOS giude:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

I was just looking as Asus web I didnt see your model a bit odd??
    After Google of it Looks like there might be history of memory problems with that model.
    Seems several people say it cant run at 400 fsb.(if ya reset Cmos try your old pc2100 stick again)
    I'll try to look into it some more tomorrow.

8. Kibble

I read up on my mobo's RAM slots. I have 4 slots total, 2 are blue. They say use the blue ones first, and if you have 3 sticks, just use one of the blacks for the third. And I'm gunna try the whole reseating thing. Can't hurt (unless I static-fry it :p)

I had no problems, other than random freezes when I was playing extreme games like BF2 and Vanguard~~ That was DUE to having damaged RAM, as far as I can tell. I recently upgraded my powersupply because my PS that came with my case started going crazy and fried my mobo, CPU, and graphic card. (All of which have since been replaced.) My PS is new within the last 2 months, and its an Enermax 420w.

But I never had problems like randomly restarting or anything, until the new RAM.

Gunna do this tonight~~ If my last 2 ideas don't work, anyway.

It is actually an Asus A7X880. I messed that part up =/ If its true about the 400mhz, I'll try clocking it down to 333mhz tonight and see how she runs.

Anyway, thank you guys so much for the help :D:D If you lived around Vancouver, I'd totally buy you a coffee =/

--Kibb

9. Kibble

Alright, I've found a temporary solution! :O

ASUS, your tip about the 400mhz problem helped. I went into my BIOS and told my mobo to run RAM at 333mhz. All sticks are working fine right now.

I still think its odd, though, how I can run the one old stick at 400mhz, but not my new ones. (I checked the clock speeds in my BIOS and with Everest, it was running at 400mhz).

I'll look into it more. Let me know if there is anything else I should know. For now, I'm gunna manage with this I think. I mean, I used to run on 1GB at 266mhz, 1.5GB at 333mhz is a huge improvement :p

Thanks a ton guys,

--Kibb

10. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Could be someone bought up some weak ram (400 mhz) at a discount. Derating components is one way to deal with slightly off-grade products.

11. Kibble

Scratch that. Still getting crashing, but only when I do something hardcore. Like play Vanguard or BF2, pretty much.

This will work for now, though. My solution is going to be buying a new PC in a month or so. I think its about time I go PCI-E.

--Kibb

12. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Try updating the BIOS and see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds