New Rig, bad smell/fumes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diggles, Jun 20, 2008.

1. diggles

diggles Private E-2

I have had this for about a month or so now.
    I am using an :
    Antec P182 case
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX MB
    E8400 core 2 duo
    gigabyte 8800gt gpu
    patriot viper 4gb ddr2 800
    ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
    Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I cannot figure out what the hell is causing this smell. It is a fume of some sort, it usually happens when my rig has been under instense usage, such as playing Age of Conan or anything that puts the hardware under a full load.

That being said, this fume is coming out that I cannot locate upon sniff test, it smells like a chemical of some sort and after a while sort of burns the eyes a little bit and you can somewhat taste it and feel it irritating the back of the throat. Someone please help, I am getting kind of desperate.

2. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

if your using a liquid cooling system that might be teh reason the tube could have a leak and the heat coming from your cpu could be circulating that

3. diggles

diggles Private E-2

No I am not using a liquid cooling system.

4. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

then in that case somthing (example: wire) could be burning but i hightly doubt that you could try spraying perfume in the CPU lol

dont..... try opening your CPU and look at what a normal sideveiw of the inside of a CPU looks like if you find somthing out of place them move it

dont unplug anything :\

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Did you build it? It could be to much thermal paste on the CPU and it is causing fumes! I would turn it off, disconnect the power and then push the on button to remove any residual power, lay the case on the side and have a look at the wiring, Video Card (where a lot of heat will be generated and around the CPU.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What kind of monitor? I've had CRTs give off a nice, chemical-ly smell when their tubes broke, and they still worked for a good while before they finally gave up the ghost.

7. diggles

diggles Private E-2

samsung lcd
    no crt.
    That would have been an early guess for me as well.

Bold, yeah, it might be thermal. I will check tonight.

8. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

It could be thermal paste I suppose but my first thoughts were of the power supply and you didn't mention it in your specs. A power supply has capacitors that could leak and cause the smell your describing. You could open the side of the case and feel the supply to see if its getting really hot. You had better find out, because if a Cap is leaking you don't want it dripping on your new stuff. Electrical burning is similar to what you describe, not only can you smell it, but it gives an acrid taste to the back of the throat without any noticeable smoke being produced.

9. diggles

diggles Private E-2

I changed out the paste, cleaned up the case a bit, rerouted some cables etc made a lot more room, still having fume issues, dont know what it is, afraid of killing myself or giving myself cancer down the road, what can i do here to find out wtf the problem is?

If it is psu, how do i find this out, also could it be anything else? My psu doesnt really smell and i found a thread on cnet that a guy is having the same issue and swapped psu's and had no change. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=26&threadID=289700&messageID=2740968
    This really worries me, I live in BF Egypt, so there are no places to go aside from this privately owned pc repair shop, i went in there once and they are very shady and i do not trust them.
    I am also wondering, could this be my lcd? I am using a Samsung 2253bw and I truly cannot pinpoint where these fumes are coming from.

Mind you, this doesnt happen instantaneous. This is something that starts to happen after being on a couple hours.
    I really need to figure out wtf is going on, this is crazy.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Honestly, there are not many parts that can cause that kind of fumming without burning out. In otherwords, if the motherboard or a video card was doing that it would burnout almost immediately. Only the power supply could generate that kind of long term fumming without actually failing. Don't get me wrong, it will eventually fail but when power supplies fail they can spike and cause damage to other hardware when they go.

You listed all your machine parts but not the power supply, what brand of supply is it?

11. diggles

diggles Private E-2

Antec 500w Basiq
    model BP5OOU

12. diggles

diggles Private E-2

Also I have found numerous posts where they say it could be new parts "burning in" I mean that does make sense to a degree but this is happening only after being on for a while.

Also could it be my lcd? My case has been open almost since i built this, due to the fact i wanted to place a fan on a stand and have it blow into my pc to keep stuff cool, i hope this isnt causing it.

13. diggles

diggles Private E-2

shameless bump

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I don't know enough about LCDs to comment on that, but if you know how to use and have access to a voltmeter or multimeter, I can provide instructions on how to test the PSU.....?

15. diggles

diggles Private E-2

cpuid has this about my viltage
    Voltage sensor 0 1.12 Volts [0x46] (CPU VCORE)
    Voltage sensor 1 1.87 Volts [0x75] (DDR)
    Voltage sensor 2 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (+3.3V)
    Voltage sensor 3 4.89 Volts [0xB6] (+5V)
    Voltage sensor 7 12.16 Volts [0xBE] (+12V)
    Voltage sensor 8 3.23 Volts [0xCA] (VBAT)

i dont have those programs yuo mentioned, and i have never heard of them :(

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

As a suggestion can you move the Case as far from the Monitor and yourself as possible, hopefully that way we can distinguish if it is the monitor or coming from the case. Personally Im a smoker and so have an impaired sense of smell, if you know anyone who has a "hightened" sense of smell you could run the PC for a bit with the side panel off and then see if you can locate the general area (e.g. top of case, bottom, left, right, etc) and start to isolate the problem.

17. diggles

diggles Private E-2

Yeah it has been running with the panel off for like a month, just to make sure nothing goes wrong this first month, furthermore the monitor is about 6 feet away or so.
    Still really hard to determine where its coming from, as there is at least a ceiling fan on, as here in florida, it gets hella hot during the summer and i would most definitely roast :-D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  18. cluu1

cluu1 Private E-2

maybe.. maybe... if you feel confident enough..

take apart the whole computer..

individually smell each part until you find the part that smells funny.. if nothing smells funny.. i don't know

not sure....xD

19. diggles

diggles Private E-2

Did that.
    It is like when everything stops and gets cool its almost impossible to track. It is really pissing me off and I am ready to start sending it back piece by piece to the people that made each individual piece of hardware...

20. cluu1

cluu1 Private E-2

try washing everything~~~~!!!!:D:D:

take every part out and wash it then let it dry for af ew days!!! then.. if it still smells..

THEN send them back

21. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Nearly all the power supplies I have or have used have been antecs and I never had a problem with any of them short of not being powerful enough for a specific system.

Is it possible that you left something on the back of the motherboard where the cpu mounts (like a plastic protective cover or something) when you mounted the board? The cpu area, graphics gpu area, north and south bridges and power supply are the only places that get hot enough to fume anything.

22. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

That really is not helpful and will certainly void any and all warranties.

The only thing I can think off is that it maybe the Video Card HS Housing I would seriously consider removing the card, laying it out on clean white A4 paper and then removing the HS, clean of the thermal paste there and refreshing that with a small amount and while it is off assessing the HS housing. The GPU may arguably be the hottest component in your system and therefore have the greatest potential to generate nasty smoke.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds