New rig, old rig comparison

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matth3w, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

This will be my thread to post my thoughts on my change in systems, but i am getting a head start before hand to compare specs. let me know what you think.

*OLD RIG*
    Athlon XP 2500 (1.84gHz)
    Ultra generic, cheap ass MB
    2GB PC3200 RAM
    256MB ATi Radeon X800XL 8X AGP
    40GB, 70GB 7200 IDE hard drives

*CHANGES*
    Pentium 4, 3.0gHz Prescott, upgraded copper fan
    Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G MB
    37GB WD Raptor 10k RPM SATA (for windows and programs)
    160GB WD 7200 SATA (for storage of files, music, backup, etc)
    Two 5.25 bay triple fan coolers for hard drives

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have you bought the hardware in the *CHANGES* list or are these proposed items to buy ( wish list if you want )?

What case you thinking of getting as some newer ones alread come with HD cooling fans infront of harddrive 3.5" bays ( a-la Coolermaster/Lian-Li ) and have space for 6 HDs which give plenty of room for space between them http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cases/cp_9.php

Which updated copper HSF are you thinking of, Zalman CNPS7700-Cu are nice, but you do need to make sure it will fit on your mobo and not hit certain parts...

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

already bought and i already have a case, without those coolers. the fan isnt something so super duty that its going to hit things, but definately a bit better and bigger than your usual fan.

4. spyder freek

spyder freek Private E-2

I would go with an amd 64 3200+ or higher instead of that p4...i have a p4 3.0ht extreme....Its an ok processor, but my 3500+ beats it in the benchmarks ive done between the two.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Benchmarks are ok if thats what floats your boat, but in real world usage, either CPU would be fine, I have both Intel and AMD64 and using MS office, PShop etc I notice no difference to my daily usage.

Sadly telling Mathew to go AMD64 is a bit late as he has bought parts already.

Mathew... what sorts of things you using the PC for?

Are you taking the X800 out of the old PC or do you have another gfx card?

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

i use the pc for website design (shameless plug www.stopillegals.info), and normally a game here and there.

i just got the stuff installed tonight (i kept the gfx card) and havent played a game yet. speeds are pretty impressive but im sure that has a lot to do with the SATA 10k rpm raptor drive (for example, my MS antispyware scan took about 1/100 of the time it used to).

i do have a few problems though:
    http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76894

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds