New Sabrent Sound Card w/Game Port "Not Connected" error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, May 6, 2011.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave I have the game port microsoft sidewinder precision pro, force feedback, and some ch product flight sticks. I bought this brand new sabrent 6 channel 5.1 sound 3D pci card with a game port. Windows XP pro saw the card and installed the drivers. I hooked up the sidewinder went into the control panel to the game controller box. Search down the list and clicked on the sidewinder. When it loaded up I got a message from windows that it detects and is installing the sidewinder, but when I go to the controller box it says it is not connect.:cry Now I triple checked to make sure it was connected properly with both joysticks. I checked to see if there were any updates for the sound card driver and the game port driver, no new updates, and the device manager shows that both are working properly.
    I went into the BIOS to disable the on board sound, but that didn't help.
    So anyone here know how to correct this? Looks like no matter what joystick I hook up I get the "not connected" error. Help!:confused

2. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave also I would like to add that I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but no change. Could it be some IRQ sharing conflict?:confused

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Okay I used the sabrent card on a computer with the joystick working. I took out my diamond dt-688 which show up in the device manager as a CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio device, and installed the sabrent ... the same problem windows saw everything, but claim the sidewinder was not connected. But what I find more disturbing is I put the diamond card in the emachine, and windows didn't see it. It's the same OS that I have on the machine that sees the diamond card. So for the life of me I don't understand why the diamond card didn't plug and play in the emachine as it does in the computer I build myself. Because the sabrent did the same in the other machine does it mean it is defective? What's up with the emachine not seeing the diamond sound card, but my home build one has no problem finding it when I put it back in. I'm confused now.:confused:cry

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave Still confused about the emachine not excepting the sound cards if anyone understands what is going on please fill me in. Now on Amazon I see some comments about the belkin usb to game port adapter, it is suppose to allow the sidewinder precision pro to work in a usb port, but it doesn't. :cry A few posters mention shorting the 2 and 7 pins on the joystick, would make it work, but 2 and 7 are in a row with other pins, I don't see how you could possibly short them out.:confused If anyone knows how to do that, please post. Thanks:)

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I don't really have any advice on getting the controller to work, but for shorting out the pins, you could just make your own cable with some inexpensive parts from radio shack. Just pick up a male and female connector (they have solderless ones if you don't want to do any soldering) and a cable that has enough conductors in it for each pin. Then just send all but 2 and 7 straight through while shorting those 2 out.

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:waveAre you saying I need to create some kind of adapter, that would allow me to short out those two pins yet still be able to connect it to the game port adapter? By any chance can you link me to an example of what you are referring to?:confused

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, you would buy a male connector and a female connector, like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually haven't been able to find any of the solderless kinds that I was thinking of, though I know they exist. However, here are some DB15 connectors that require soldering as well as some with PC boards/wire terminals attached where you could accomplish the same thing:

Then, you would get a cable with enough conductors in it and connect them straight through (1-1, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 8-8, etc.) on all but pins 2 and 7. Then, you could short out those two.

Again, keep in mind. I have no idea whether or not this will make it work, I'm just telling you how to short pins 2 and 7. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds