NEW Super Computer being built :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankzro, Aug 4, 2011.

1. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Just looking for suggestions...

Here is what the new PC WILL have :

G1.Sniper Mobo ( because I want the killer NIC and the nice Sound Blaster onboard sound)

Thermaltake Level 10 GT

Corsair Professional Series Gold High-Performance 850-Watt Power Supply
    Corsair Vengeance LP (1.35V version) x3 8GB kits = 24GBs of RAM (Don't ask)

ASUS DVD Burner and Blu-Ray player ( Keeping it simple)

I have the Noctua NH-D14, but was wondering if I should instead go for the Corsair H100 ( Can someone please help me with some details about the H100. Will it make a HUGE difference vs. the Noctua NH-D14? )

Processor: Core i7 970

Vid cards x2 HD 5770's ( for now :) )

Hard drive ... not really known yet but will let you guys know.

So tell me how this sounds, and please help me out with the CPU cooler issue :) thank you.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Not bad man, check out the 2600K's while you're at it.;) As to the cooler, I have an H50 running my i7 930 @ 3.8GHz and @ 70C, I doubt the 970 will be much different from those specs, goddamn man six cores?

I will not buy a 6 core Gulftown until they're reasonably priced! However, this is a decent price drop. Damn, the prices are coming down! I'm going to wait for the Sandy Bridge-E to further deflate the price.;) I just might do a Gulftown.;) Got the board for it.:) Did I use the word 'price' too often here?:-D

3. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I purchased the 2600k and later on found out that INTEL and AMD are nothing alike lol. What I mean is, if I buy a socket 1366 it is not compatible with the 1155 -_-, but if it was AMD it would be backwards compatible... This is my first INTEL build and it is ripping my pockets apart limb from limb... Im not used to INTEL and their hip new sockets every 4 months :p, it really makes it hard and more uhhg "Integrated" for the buyer.

Anyways, any one got a heads up on the Noctua NH-D14 Vs. Corsair H100 ? :)

4. augiedoggie

Oh absolutely man! Intel rips one off with socket changes and there's a new one just around the corner now, the 2011. I'm currently waiting for AMD's BullDozer and if it fits my %30 performance increase rule over what I have then I'm back!:-D

Ya gotta give the kudos to AMD for the socket compatibility that they've managed to achieve. I think Intel just wants to sell extra chipsets for their mobos but they are fast, can't deny them that. Seeing the proposed prices for the next gen chips, I ain't too interested in Intel anymore. We'll see.;)

5. augiedoggie

How far are you going to push this sucker?

I can't really personally talk about the Noctua NH-D14(humongous piece of kit!:eek) and most likely quiet. Heck, I replaced my CoolerMaster fans on the Hyper 212+ with Noctua fans because of the noise. Ironic eh?

I find my H50 to be loud and there's nothing that I can do about it. It cools just fine but the fan noise sucks. Read reviews man, they both do the job.

6. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Noise is no issue to me, I sometimes wonder how the smallest computer noises bother people when there are Beats Earbuds that destroy your ear canal :)

7. augiedoggie

That's why I don't own any ear buds. My hearing was decimated at rock concerts 30 years ago. I don't have any need to repeat that.;) Do as you wish.;)

8. augiedoggie

That's not what I meant, how far are you going to overclock this chip? If you're going to leave it at default then an H50 will suffice, heck even the stock fan will be fine.

9. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I would like to push it over 4000! O_Omhz

Basically try to get my chip to Run stable @ 4ghz, nothing insane really. My thermaltake Level 10 offers great airflow, think the level 10 + Noctua D14 will do it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds