New system info app "BlackBox"

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was just checking out this new app from yesterday's MG front page. It's called Codename BlackBox 1.0 and it's pretty cool. However, I did find some small 'bugs', maybe 'incosistencies' is a bit more accurate. My motherboard has 4 memory slots, all are full, and the RAM is running in dual-channel mode. BlackBox says that I have 4 memory modules (true) and that I have 4 empty memory slots (huh?). It also says the memory is in single channel mode. See screen shot below for clarification. I'm assuming that it's reporting of the single channel is incorrect due to the other inconsistencies in the RAM count (saying I have 4 empty slots), but I was wondering if there's another app I can use to tell me if I am truly in dual-channel mode like I think I am, or if it's in single channel mode. My motherboard/RAM configuration is as follows: Channel A is slots 1 and 3, and holds 2 x 1gb DDR2 memory. Channel B is slots 2 and 4, and holds 2 x 512mb DDR2. So there's a total of 3gb of memory. So, is there another app I can use to 'test' for dual channel mode? I've tried Everest Free, and PC Wizard, and neither one says if it's single channel or dual channel.

Attached Files:

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I use adia32 for the most part because its a no install program and free, and although it does not come right out and say "look dual channel" if you go to Motherboard and then Motherboard again and look at the memory bus properties, my REAL CLOCK is 200mhz (DDR) and the EFFECTIVE CLOCK reads 400mhz. Therefore if I have a memory clock of 200mhz and effective of 400mhz then I must be running in dual channel mode. Right?

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I just ran a search and one post said cpu-z will tell you if your in dual channel or not:
    "Download and install CPU-Z, then click on the Memory tab. In the upper right corner it will say either Single or Dual, letting you know which mode your RAM is in."

I suspect that BlackBox 1.2 may solve the issue, 1.0's are always a little finicy.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... unfortunately, no. Yes, the real clock is 200mhz, but because the memory is DDR (which means Dual Data Rate, essentially this doubles the real clock speed), the 'effective' clock is 400mhz. It has nothing to do with dual channel. I was reading my MB manual, and it appears that I am running in single channel mode. Apparently, my motherboard is set up so that slots 1 and 2 should have identical RAM (this is channel 1), and slots 3 and 4 should have identical sticks (channel 2). Many other boards are set up to 'alternate' so slots 1 & 3 would be the same channel (ch 1), and slots 2 & 4 would be the same channel (ch 2).
    :confused
    So I guess I need to open up the case and move some memory around.... but it is still a bit odd that BlackBox says I have 4 memory modules installed in 4 empty slots LOL ;)

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the info about CPU-Z. I haven't used it in a while and had forgotten about it's RAM info feature... and sure enough, I'm in single channel mode, and have been for quite some time (unbeknownst to me). :cry
    Yup, gotta shut down, open the case, and move some RAM around....

[dlb]

Attached Files:

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK. All is well. I was running my RAM in single channel mode. I powered down, unplugged the power cord, swapped some modules, and powered back up. Both CPU-Z and BlackBox report dual channel. :celebrate But, BlackBox still says I have four empty memory slots. LOL

Attached Files:

7. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I know some motherboards are really vague when it comes to how to properly install memory sticks. Some just use dual colors on the board and your supposed to figure out that 1 and 3, 2 and 4 being the same color are paired.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I know about the different colors... let's say a motherboard has 2 green RAM slots, and 2 purple RAM slots. I have seen boards that say "put matching RAM in the green slots, and matching RAM in the purple slots for dual channel". I have also seen "put matching sticks in the first green slot and the first purple slot; and put matching sticks in the second green and second purple slots". It really wasn't a big deal.... I have noticed no performance increase. I was more surprised to see that I wasn't in dual channel mode for the past 8 months! LOL :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds