New system information utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 26, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was glad to see on the MG front page a couple days ago (on Jan 24 to be exact) the program Speccy. It's a free system info tool along the lines of Everest and it's from the fine folks over at Piriform (the dudes behind CCleaner and Defraggler and some other fine FREE apps) and it's a great system info tool. It's still in beta so it isn't 100% totally accurate yet (it picks up my GTX260 as having 192 shaders when it actually has 216), but it's pretty freekin' cool, and there's a portable version available at the Speccy home page (scroll down to the bottom of that page for the download link). One drawback: it doesn't save a hardware report in a standard TXT format; it uses it's own 'Speccy' format so you can only open the report with Speccy (I tried opening it with numerous other text editors/readers to no avail). Check it out!
    :-D

[dlb]

(OK- Speccy isn't exactly new, it's been around for a while, but it's new to being available here at MG ;) )

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats the main reason I'm not using it doesnt have a good export of a PCs log, Piriform do seem to be lacking in this in a few of their apps, I have on numerous occasions said they need to add a text export of the startup list in CCleaner and not just the Installed apps list.... 1yr+ ago I suggested this to them.

Its an ok app but nothing spectacular IMHO.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I tried it out too & it has a nice interface but the lack of being able to save a report is a downer. Aida32 is very good at that or SIW - they seems to have more 'data' about the system.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree foogoo, its a major missed opportunity to get in on many troubleshooters using their app for system data collection over Everest and others, Piriform have some great ideas but dont in my dealing listen to the user on new things to add.

5. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

6. star17

star17 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds