New-to-me Linksys WRT54GL - IP Conflict Notice???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Apr 25, 2008.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I need a router expert pls...
    I upgraded [i think....] from an older B-wireless Netgear MR814v2 to a Linksys WRT54GL yesterday. I was impressed by the near-unanimous raves on the Linksys....
    Anyway, the first thing was the install did not go as planned. I dunno why, but just following their recommended steps resulted in a dead config.
    So, I went back to my own methods and got it up.

I use two cable-attached compaq EVOS and one [for the moment] iPOD Touch via wireless. I use Roadrunner high speed with their supplied modem [i think its a toshiba something or other]

So things looked ok yesterday, but somewhere in the afternoon or night, an error occurred, so I had on my screen this morning "IP Conflict with another device on the network".
    I didn't think this is possible: the router is supposed to assign-out the addresses to everything in serial order, right? What's up???

if there IS a real conflict I want to solve it... i've had some issues of late and blamed the Netgear box....

thx for help
    Z

2. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

bump
    hellllllppp

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got that error once while setting up mine. Rebooting the offending machine sorted it for me. Which device is getting a conflicting IP? Access your router from your browser, should be 192.168.1.1 and see if you can find something showing Devices and see if you see conflicting devices.

Oh yeah, you might want to consider flashing the IOS to Tomato or DD-WRT, gives you a lot more options... I have the same router, just different IOS, so the wording may be a little off.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds