new toshiba mx 50 - m5 won't burn R+ dvd from source disc R-

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moni, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Moni

Moni Private E-2

I have tried several forums and not one reply. I purchased the above notebook this past Jan 2006 and due to work committments I could not install the programs that I needed to use on the notebook until now. I continued to use my toshiba satellite 2410 which I am currently using now as I write this post.

Of past recent weeks, 8 months after I purchased the notebook I opened the box and installed all of my anti virus, spyware programs etc. as well as my work programs as this is my annual leave time.
    Everthing was working fine and I dropped by the office to have our software tech take a look at what I had done and there appeared no issues after he checked everything out.

I went home and decided to burn an R+ disc in my drive with the source disc being a family edited R-. The notebook would read the disc and then fail to burn to any brand of R+ that I had TDK, Sony, Maxell, Imation, Verbatim and BenQ. I mention the latter as I own 2 BenQ 16 X dual layer burners, one that I bought last December and have used with my present satellite 2410 with no coasters and have done over 100 dvd backups. And all are playable on our large family's diverse brands of standalone players.
    I use the R+ media brands all of which I listed above and notably Sony, Maxell and BenQ as their support out of Irvine Ca recommended these as being tested in their factory and that they are compatible and so they have been as I have had no coasters.
    I should say that I also burn with the BenQ Book Management exe. doing all of my backups in DVD ROM which is also recommended by BenQ.

I only mention the BenQ 162I burner as it also would not burn R+ media with the new notebook. It did the same thing.
    After the media source both R- and R+ was read and an R+ disc was inserted for burning a message came on the screen asking for R- media and the door opened on the notebook waiting for me to remove the R+ media that I had in there and the same occurred with the BenQ external burner when I tried it.

I went back to the office and our in house software tech phoned toshiba and they confirmed that the notebook should burn R+ media and suggested ghosting my unit and doing a clean Restoration with the disc provided and so we did this and still got the same error.

So after the software tech at the office talked to toshiba again they suggested taking it back to the store "Staples" where I bought it and give them the case number as the level 2 toshiba tech support was certain a clean Restoration would resolve the issue but it of course did not.

The store talked to our office software tech and myself and sent it out to the toshiba depot.
    Today I got a call saying that a new optical drive had been ordered and that the order time, install and test time would take 14 days.:eek:
    I asked the tech if this would definitely resolve the problem and he was non commital. He said that they would try it out and see.

Since I am a non tech user I am wondering if this does not work what else will they start looking at as being the source of the problem as I don't want to sit another 14 days while they go on an exploring expedition and I then even when and if the problem is found I have to reinstall all of my programs.

So what I am asking is what else in the notebook could possibly cause this type of problem since the original suggestion of uninstalling my programs and doing a Clean Restoration with the disc was supposed to be the sure cure from the level 2 phone support from toshiba who have normally been good when I had queries on the present satellite 2410 that I am using now that is 3 years old.

I find this whole situation now more than confusing and am irritated that Toshiba will not say that this will resolve the problem:confused: .

As I mentioned I have posted in several other forums without any reply and so I wonder if this is really a difficult question to answer as right now I am definitely not a happy camper with no secure answer.
    The store did mention that they may have to give me another similar model if it can't be fixed but I can't keep waiting and waiting while they make this a research project. It seems to me that the logical action would be to order all parts that could be the defective culprits and then eliminate them one by one til you find whatever is wrong. The order and wait time is simply unconscionable.

I really hope someone here has some idea of what else could be causing this.

Thankyou for your time.

2. Omnipotent_idiot

Omnipotent_idiot Private E-2

maybe its just a defective dvd drive that came with your laptop? If a re-install didn't help,and I am assuming that you CAN burn dvd +r media on that drive,then if it is not a software fault,it must be hardware fault. Try the new drive when you get it back or you can purchase an external USB burner.

3. Moni

Moni Private E-2

Thx for the reply, yes I have an external BenQ 162I that is working perfectly well since the purchase Dec 2005 and burned over 100 dvd R+ Maxell, Sony, TDk, Imation, and Verbatims which the tech phone support recommend as being tested by there factory and were the most successful and thus they recommend their useage. They definitely tell you NOT to use R-.
    I burn in their Book Management exe. DVD ROM and all of my backups work on our large family's diverse standalone dvd players, from home theatre , to middle of the road toshiba as I have and door crasher specials.

This burner is suuperb for my needs and has not failed me with any coasters and for 100+ R that is exceptionally a good track record for back ups.

The reason that I posted about this burner as well having a problem burning R+ with my NEW MX50 - M5 is b/c it burns fine with my 3 year old satellite 2410 toshiba notebook that I am typing on right now. This is the one that I did the 100+ backups with the BenQ 162I ext burner.

NOW when this was tried with the NEW MX 50 - M5 satellite toshiba notebook, it started giving the same error message as the notebook itself indicating that I had to insert an R- disc to burn on after it read the R- Source Disk.
    I phoned the Support for BenQ in Irvine Ca. and they said that all of my firmware and drivers are uptodate and that the BenQ should work the same with this new Notebook using R+ as this is all their burner supports.
    But what happens is the same as the notebook, the tray door flies open and the message on the screen asks for R- medi for the BenQ, thus BenQ said the problem is with the NEW notebook and I am wondering if simply replacing the optical drive is going to help the BenQ burner drive as Toshiba was very vague about whether the problem would be fixed and seem to indicate that there are other parts that can affect an optical drive and thus I posted here.

BTW. Toshiba has confirmed that this optical drive should be able to burn R+ media just as my older model satellite 2410 that I am using does and with great success.
    I use the BenQ without any coasters as it is 16X and is much faster than the internal drive.

I again look forward to any and all comments, thankyou.

Best Regards.

You are the only forum that has responded, is this an odd situation. It is a brand new computer notebook?????

4. Omnipotent_idiot

Omnipotent_idiot Private E-2

your welcome,glad to help.

5. Moni

Moni Private E-2

Thx for the reply, yes I have an external BenQ 162I that is working perfectly well since the purchase Dec 2005 and burned over 100 dvd R+ Maxell, Sony, TDk, Imation, and Verbatims which the tech phone support recommend as being tested by there factory and were the most successful and thus they recommend their useage. They definitely tell you NOT to use R-.
    I burn in their Book Management exe. DVD ROM and all of my backups work on our large family's diverse standalone dvd players, from home theatre , to middle of the road toshiba as I have and door crasher specials.

This burner is suuperb for my needs and has not failed me with any coasters and for 100+ R that is exceptionally a good track record for back ups.

The reason that I posted about this burner as well having a problem burning R+ with my NEW MX50 - M5 is b/c it burns fine with my 3 year old satellite 2410 toshiba notebook that I am typing on right now. This is the one that I did the 100+ backups with the BenQ 162I ext burner.

NOW when this was tried with the NEW MX 50 - M5 satellite toshiba notebook, it started giving the same error message as the notebook itself indicating that I had to insert an R- disc to burn on after it read the R- Source Disk.
    I phoned the Support for BenQ in Irvine Ca. and they said that all of my firmware and drivers are uptodate and that the BenQ should work the same with this new Notebook using R+ as this is all their burner supports.
    But what happens is the same as the notebook, the tray door flies open and the message on the screen asks for R- medi for the BenQ, thus BenQ said the problem is with the NEW notebook and I am wondering if simply replacing the optical drive is going to help the BenQ burner drive as Toshiba was very vague about whether the problem would be fixed and seem to indicate that there are other parts that can affect an optical drive and thus I posted here.

BTW. Toshiba has confirmed that this optical drive should be able to burn R+ media just as my older model satellite 2410 that I am using does and with great success.
    I use the BenQ without any coasters as it is 16X and is much faster than the internal drive.

I again look forward to any and all comments, thankyou.

Best Regards.

You are the only forum that has responded, is this an odd situation. It is a brand new computer notebook?????

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Usually firmware updates for the burner fix this type of problem, maybe they dont know they need one, after you get it back, see what brand of burner they put in and update the firmware your self. ed

7. Moni

Moni Private E-2

Thx for the reply, what I am wondering is, would the fact that the internal optical drive being a lemon for R+ burning also then mean that my "working" BenQ 162I burner with the 3 year old toshiba satellite that I am now again using will not work as well????

I am not a tech and toshiba originally told me that in layman's language it is "like the notebook after reading the dvd is not able to communicate to its own internal drive to tell it to burn to dvd R+ nor is it able to communicate to my working external BenQ drive that burns R+ with my 3 yr old toshiba notebook that I am now again using but my BenQ external will NOT burn R+ with the new one?

That is why I am wondering if there is something else in the notebook besides the drive that the toshiba tech was referencing to re communication??
    I don't want to wait 2 weeks for this repair and then find that they have not checked out all possibilities, as I of course did not send my BenQ external burner which I bought in Dec 2005 and I am presently using to do R+ back ups on my 3 yr old satellite right now.

Toshiba when they called re the order of the drive said that they would see if that resolves the problem and I wanted to know what else could possibly be an issue. I would have wished that they would have ordered all of the potential suspect parts and then eliminate the ones that are working and then replace the faulty part.

Are there any other parts that could cause this problem?
    I hope that someone has some ideas as toshiba's tech was hedging about this question when i asked him.
    Best regards, and thankyou

8. Moni

Moni Private E-2

We finally found out the culprit. The Edit Source video from the edit shop was a Ty G02 R- and Nero nor Slysoft Clone DVD on 2 other notebooks wouldl burn this to R+, however on another notebook I have 1 click DVD Copy installed and I tried this program and it burned the Original R- as source to a R+ Verbatim.

I talked to the fellow who owns the Edit Shop and his partner is more computer savvy and he tested out what I had told them about and found the same thing. That he got a message to insert a R- in order to do a backup and take out the R+ media.

However he found a setting within Nero that will allow their Ty G02 R- to burn to R+ media but he is away on holidays right now and so I don't know what the solution is; but thought that I should post a reply here as maybe someone knows what it is???

All I know is that I am using 1 Click DVD Copy as my primary DVD burning program right now.

Comments???

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I dont use Nero so we will have to wait on a Nero user to see if he can find that setting. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds