New video card causes windows not to boot: "winload.exe"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Hello all,

I have a nVidia 7900GT that i'm replacing with an ATI 3850. I uninstalled all the nVidia display drivers and ran a driver sweeper program to remove any leftovers. I shut down the PC and swapped out the cards. When the computer starts up, I get the following message from the Windows Boot Manager:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:

1 Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2 Choose you language settings, and then click "Next."
    3 Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
    Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupts.

I tried the repair option though the instillation disc however it said repair could not be carried out. I searched Google and came up with a Bootrec.exe tool fix though the command prompt on the instillation disc. I followed the instructions but that does not fix my problem either.

The weird thing is that I can put my old card back in and the computer starts up just fine as if nothing happened. What does the video card have to do with the Boot devices?

Can anyone offer some insight into the problem?

C2D E4300
    Asus P5E-SLI
    2GB Supertalant Ram
    250GB HDD
    160GB HDD
    7900GT / 3850
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Just want to add that now after running Bootrec.exe I can not boot into windows with either video card. I get the same above error.

The information on the tool was found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

When I try and run /rebuildbcd it runs successfully buy says "Total identified Windows installations: 0"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds