New Video Card in Laptop - possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I Love Grits, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I Love Grits

I Love Grits Private E-2

Is it possible for the average joe to replace the video card in a laptop himself? Obvioussly, I am a newbie at all this stuff, but my Intel 945 piece is just not cutting it - I cant play battlefield 2, nor alot of other games, and I would like to upgrade.

Any reccomendations for a Dell Latitude D620, with the Dual Core Processor, 1 gb of ram? Also, how do I break the laptop down to replace it?

Thanks guys!

2. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

Hi ya Grits...

According to the specs you have given... you can't replace the video at all...
    It's integrated video. (On the motherboard)
    But... configurable through the BIOS.
    "Up to 224MB shared" according to the on line info.

What may be your problem is that there is not enough memory allocated for your video to play the particular game.

I'm not much of a Dell guy... But usually to get into the BIOS you push the "Delete" key at first boot screen.
    Maybe someone can give you better advise on how to get into a Dell BIOS.
    But in any case I'd bet the farm increasing your shared video memory would solve your problem.

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

On mine, I can change the shared memory through the nVidia manager, so there might be something like that available that is software based.

Or as Jinxy said, look in the Bios.

It'll take memory from your RAM installed, but could always upgrade this if need be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds