New video card installation : BAD : old card doesn't work now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moistzombie, Oct 2, 2007.

1. moistzombie

moistzombie Private E-2

Hi MajorGeeks and thanks for in advance for anyone who can help me.

I've bought myself a new video card yesterday; HIS Radeon X1650 512mb Pro IceQ, AGP. I went ahead to install it, and I get no picture after booting up.

I am receiving a signal to the monitor (I am not getting a "check signal message") but no image comes to the PC. I went to put my old card in which is a Gigabyte 128mb 9600 Pro, and it now suffers the same symptoms!!!

Both cards are receiving power as theirs fans are chugging along.

I had also purchased a 1gig stick of RAM to complement my new video card, so I set my PC up the way it was before the attempted installation of the new card.

Components of PC are:

P4 2.8ghz (D865PERL)
    512mb RAM
    DVD and Lite-On burner

Your advice is most appreciated - I need my PC for study, eeek!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

My guess is the ram is not compatable, with old card and old ram, reset cmos, unplug powersupply, remove battery from motherboard and let sit for a few minutes, hold down on-off button for a few seconds. Reinstall battery and see if it will run. Welcome to MajorGeeks. ed

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. moistzombie

moistzombie Private E-2

Cheers I was just reading about pulling out the CMOS battery to reset it.

OK. I am down at the local internet cafe, so I will go home, see what I can do and come back.

Thanks for the advice.

4. moistzombie

moistzombie Private E-2

No luck. Pulling out the CMOS battery for a bit to reset didn't help.

The computer is booting up fine, there is power coming to both video cards, but there is no picture coming through whatsover.

I've been changing all kinds of hardware at work and at home for several years and have never had any major issues. I am starting to wonder if I fried something, though I am pretty pedantic about that.

I thought there may have been a power issue with the newer card, but the old one doesn't give visuals either.

Any other suggestions? I am considering putting it in for a service (and see if it's possible to install my recently acquired video card and RAM.)

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

there is power coming to both video cards"

What do you mean by that? you install both cards at the same time?

6. moistzombie

moistzombie Private E-2

I mean when I have either card installed they are both still receiving power.

Still no luck - I have tried working on a "bare bones" system to figure out what is going wrong - so far no combination works.

I notice I don't get a POST signal, but I don't ever remember hearing one in the first place, since I've had it (is it possible it's turned off?)

7. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

A post screen is the very first screen that you will see, the one with the options for setup, boot menu, system restore. I believe you will get power to the card regardless, I am beginning to think something happened to the motherboard on the first attempt, if it wont fire up with original ram, and video card after clearing cmos, my guess is the board is fried. ed

8. moistzombie

moistzombie Private E-2

I figured that my mobo is dead - just didn't want to say it!

Considering that it may be dead, I had the thought that I would build a budget PC around my new card and RAM.

I guess my current processor won't work, so I will need to get:

- Motherboard
    - Processor
    - PSU 500w to complement new card

I will use the existing drives, maybe get a new hard drive.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Really if I was going to look at a new PC I'd lean towards getting a new machine, i.e. PCI-Express generation.

But I've bought this card, and I don't think I will get much money back for it DOH!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds