New video card = lower fps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sodapoppers, Apr 28, 2009.

1. sodapoppers

sodapoppers Private E-2

So I wanted to improve my gaming experience, and went out and bought a new video card. My old one was an Nvidia 5400 128mb (sad I know) and I purchased an Nvidia Geforce 8400 512mb. With the old card, I was getting about 15fps.

Install new card, and now i'm getting about 2fps. It's horrible!! I've downloaded all drivers, my PC meets the power supply requirements...i'm not sure what's wrong with it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

did you properly uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones? and you have the proper version for that new one? what game are you playing? you might have to lower the settings, or even reset them in whatever game you are playing. sometimes the "optimum" settings are really that good.

3. Nviax

Nviax Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds