New XP install - drivers help needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zion45, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Zion45

Zion45 Private E-2

Hi

I have just replaced Windows Vista with Windows XP Pro on the following computer:-

Acer Aspire M1100

Now I am stuck at the 'drivers' stage, and would greatly appreciate some help. Note that I am fairly novice in the field of computer hardware, drivers, BIOS and the like.

Here is where I am at: XP is now successfully installed on the computer. First thing I notice is the desktop screen is stretched even on what looks like the 'correct' resolution [1280 x 1024 on 19" wide monitor] - but of course no graphics drivers are yet installed on the new OS.

The graphics hardware inside the computer is: ATI Radeon X1250 - I understand this is 'integrated graphics'?. After hours of searching [including ATI website drivers page], it seems there is no specific driver for this graphics card and Windows XP. However I did find this 'ATI Catalyst 8.2 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit)' which mentions XP in its spec:-

http://www.softwaredriverdownload.com/ati_radeon_x1250_vista_driver.html

After attempting to install however, there were installation failure messages [I forget exactly, something about 'install manager' failing I think]. After going past the few error messages and allowing 'installation' to continue, it seemed at the end that nothing had been installed at all.

But before I deal with the graphics card/drivers, I learned from some Googling that the first drivers I should be concerned with is for Motherboard. I've had a look in Device Manager to see what might already be installed [if anything?], but am confused by what I see - where is the bit telling me the status of my motherboard, and if the driver is installed or needs installing?

I ran 'Aida32.exe' and got the model of my motherboard, which is: RS690-SB600-6A669FK8C-00

Next, I visited the Acer website and downloaded these drivers for 'audio', 'Lan' and 'VGA' specific to the M1100 model [didn't bother with the TV tuner and NVidia drivers which I assume I won't need]:-

http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.do?Lang...;CRC=3713735360

Clicking on BIOS in that link gives no download options: 'Flashing the wrong BIOS can cause harm to the system. Acer recommends that you should only upgrade your firmware/drivers if you have been instructed to do so by an Acer Customer Care representative'.

Which brings me up to date. What are the rules with drivers, which should I look at and install first to get this new OS up and running? Is my motherboard driver already installed, if so how do I find out and if not where do I find the driver? How are BIOS related to the motherboard, and should I look at fiddling with them?

I think once I have dealt with the motherboard/BIOS drivers issue [if there is one] then I can tackle the graphics card issue [if there is no suitable XP driver for the X1250, I guess I will buy a new graphics card rather than revert to Vista].

Thank you greatly in advance for any help - the replacement XP OS install went very smoothly but I'm stuck now since know very little about how drivers work!

EDIT: please note I am not yet connected to the internet with this computer, however I have a 2nd computer in my home which is connected to the internet so I can download anything from there and transfer across via USB Flash Drive

2. Zion45

Zion45 Private E-2

OK, I've had to go ahead and try to get this computer working.

From the drivers mentioned above I obtained from the Acer website, I have done the following:-

- Attempted install of the Acer VGA driver. This is also described as a 'catalyst display driver'. Installation successful. However, on rebooting machine, nothing has changed graphically - looking in Device Manager, there is no entry for 'Display Adapters', and running DXDIAG says in Display/Device that there is none available. BUT... I don't quite understand if my ATI Radeon X1250 would register as an 'external device/graphics adapter', since I believe it is an 'integrated graphics card'?

- Attempted install of the Acer Realtek HD sound driver. Success - the computer now has sound, so that is at least one thing out of the way

What I am still in the dark about, is the state of the computer's graphics - I do not know if they are running 'correctly' or if another driver needs to be installed to unlock the X1250 [or is it now running, but it doesn't show up in Device Manager because of its 'integrated' status'?].

Tomorrow I will be able to hook it up to the web, providing there are no problems installing the modem driver! Once on the web I guess I can surf and see how the graphics fare compared with when it used to run on Vista.

Would still like some clarification on the motherboard and BIOS. Is it likely I need to install a driver for my motherboard, or should I consider that already 'done'? Is it a given that if you install a new OS on your computer, you must always install the motherboard driver again? I cannot find anything online relating to a 'driver' for my motherboard...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds