Newbie anti-hacker question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Learning As I Go, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Learning As I Go

Learning As I Go Sergeant

As some of you already know - I am trying to learn as much as I can.

I recently joined a forum, and I get the impression that there are some less than decent people there.

I keep seeing lingo I'm not familiar with and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I need some commonly used terms and their meanings.

The couple that come to mind include "torrent" and "ICQ".

I googled "bit torrent" and I kind of understood the concept, but what I didn't understand was the method (or leagality). For instance: A link was provided to view some online art. I tried it to no avail. I posted this and recieved information about the torrent's "owner??" was probably offline, etc, etc.

So, does this mean that once I DL a torrent - my computer becomes a server for this file? Giving would be hackers easier access to my computer???

Also, I got into a conversion with someone who was going to send me some files through ICQ. He said I'd need Alcohol 120% to read the files.

When I responded with, "What the hell are you talking about?" - our conversations ended.

I'm certain this was a good thing as I may have been involved in illegal activity. Which was not my intent.

Lastly, one member's sigtag has a little character holding a sign. It displays your address, browser,OS, and ISP. I know it is a novelty, but it has gotten my attention.

The forum itself is great, but like I said - there seems to be some members there that are quite versed in the ins and outs of the net.

I was hoping for some advice on what to look out for, and how to identify potential hackers.

I am aware of not opening files I'm not familiar with ... etc.

I'm not oblivious, just a little out of the loop.

Any advice would be appreciated,

LAIGo

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

I am not totally clear what is that you are looking for.

Some of the File exchange activities that you are describing might not be considered legal and thus no one is going to teach you the in and the outs on a respectable public BBS.

You want to learn about regular security?

May be this can Help.

Link to: Internet infestation -Or, how you are getting Internet “Junk” in and compromise your Computer/Network?

Link to: Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk".

Link to: Assemble a Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection Protection.]

:cool:

3. Learning As I Go

Your links were sort of what I was looking for.

What I was really asking was how to identify a hacker by the lingo they are using.

And what to look out for when dealing with file sharing (like what to avoid)

Do hackers use torrents to distribute files? Are all torrents bad?

I am not trying to learn how to do it, I am trying to learn what is being done.

As in, someone offers to share a file - then the method used is something I can identify as illegal and choose not to do it.

A brief layman description is all I'm interested in learning.

Thank you none the less for responding to my post.

LAIGo

4. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

No brainer, ask yourself this "is this file found free on its home webpage and/or another reputable download page such as majorgeeks.com?" if the answer is yes then you wont be violating any laws. The program/way used to download something is never illegal, its what you download.

hope it helps you understand.

Go here if you want to start to learn how you can protect yourself online:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Torrents are simply a different way of downloading files. It works by first having a "seed" at say, the webserver, then someone downloads the file and becomes a "host" and has its own seed. The next downloader can then download the file from both the locations, meaning the web server uses half the bandwidth. Its a great way for people who distribute large files (such as videos) and don't want to have the massive bandwidth bill.

Whether these "large files" are legit or not is irelevant. As with any file sharing app, the applications themselves are not illegal but the files you may choose to download with them are.

You can't identify a hacker simply by their use of language. Script kiddies (hackers who run other peoples programs to cause chaos) might use l337 sp33k but thats the only giveaway. A real hacker you can't identify simply by his projected textual image on the forum, because they are just like anyone else.

As to identifying if the files are legal or not, you decide. If it somthing you know to be copywrite protected (say, film, music or applications), chances are it isn't legal to share these. If it is shareware, freeware or anything like that, thats fine.

Again, it IS a good idea to download from respected websites such as this one, and to scan any file you download with an AV first.

Also, if its too small to be true, chances are it is. I.e. very few programs come in at less than 80kb in size.

6. Learning As I Go

Thanks for the link Destructo.

I have (and have had) all the stuff listed. It has kept my system completely malware free for a very long time.

And for that, I am greatful.

I'm just trying to avoid falling in with a bad crowd. Most of the members of the forum are very cool and talented artists.

However, there seems to be a handfull of unsavory characters there too.

I have identified some, I just want to make sure I don't accidently attract the attention of a Hacker.

I mainly try and support the artists in the forum either by coloring their work or offering my comments.

There has just been alot of references to torrents and "seeding" a torrent.

I don't know what it means and you are right - common sense should help me decide whether or not to pursue a link.

I only belong to 2 other forums. That one and a single fathers forum.

So far my experiences have been with reputable people. This is why I'm trying to learn how to identify the unreputable people.

One of the Mods at the forum has created an area for torrent use, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's cool. I just don't know.

Alot of the talk is over picture swapping. I doubt anything is illegal, but on occassion - I'm PMed by someone who I can't always tell what is motivating them.

To a hacker, sharing stolen software is "just being a nice guy". To me, I don't want to be involved.

Thanks for the input,

LAIGo

7. Learning As I Go

Thanks Goldfish,

You just answered what I was asking in my latest response. I'm not that sure of the cons of sharing my Bandwith with other people (or what that really means), but I now have a point of reference to work from and I will research Bandwith sharing later.

Thank you for the advice you gave, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad this place doesn't have a reputation meter - I'd have just given you a Rep Bump :) .

LAIGo

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

We did have rep, but it got turned off because it wasn't working the way it should have. But thanks for the sentiment all the same :)

But as long as you're not offering anything illegal, I don't see the problem with bandwidth sharing. Also bear in mind whilst you're downloading a torrent you are also seeding the partially completed file to others.

9. Learning As I Go

Thanks for the follow-up Goldy.

I just logged into the other forum and on the sign I was referring to was the addy for the site the sign came from.

So, if you were interested in what I was talking about. Google "danasoft*dot*com"

LAIGo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds