Newbie facing boot.tidserv

Discussion in 'Software' started by Donald Gluck, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Donald Gluck

Donald Gluck Private E-2

A big hallooo to my new best friends.....

I' m new but …my computer is old (!) AND....it will no longer boot....
    I removed the C drive and put in an USB enclosure. When connected to my laptop Norton says the disk is infected with boot.tidserv . Norton can’t delete it.
    All boot.tidserv removal programs I find seem to automatically delete this virus on the boot drive (or C/drive). How can I get rid of it on an external USB drive (I don’t get to choose which drive to clean).

Once deleted I would re-install the disk in my main computer and pray … Tried starting up in “Safe mode” ,”safe mode with networking”, “last known setting that worked” : blue screen with the message that the pc is infected. So , getting it out of the PC, into a Spio USB housing and connecting it as an external USB drive is the only way I can look in to it.

Help?
    DG

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's.

With the drive slaved, please download MBRCheck to your desktop

• Double click MBRCheck.exe to run (vista and Win 7 right click and select Run as Administrator)
    • It will show a Black screen with some information that will contain either the below line if no problem is found:
      • Done! Press ENTER to exit...

• Or you will see more information like below if a problem is found:
      • Found non-standard or infected MBR.
      • Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:

• Either way, just choose to exit the program at this point since we want to see only the scan results to begin with.
    • MBRCheck will create a log named similar to MBRCheck_07.16.10_00.32.33.txt which is random based on date and time.
    • Attach this log to your next message.

3. Donald Gluck

Donald Gluck Private E-2

Done...by the way..Big thx for this fast reply !

Attached Files:

4. TimW

What OS was running on this disc? And do you have your install disc? We will need to boot you into the Recovery environment.

5. Donald Gluck

Donald Gluck Private E-2

Windows XP spII, and yes, I believe I can find my Windows install disc. Anyway, If I'm to boot in the recovery environment than I have to re-install the disc in the PC and that may take sometime. It's like 23 PM over here so...I'll be back tomorrow. Wish there was a solution “outside the box”, now that the drive is available over USB.

'night and THX !

6. TimW

Not a problem, but if you can reinstall the drive in the computer, boot with your XP install disc and go into the Recovery Console. Once there, type:
    fixmbr
    Then reboot and see if all is well.

7. Donald Gluck

Donald Gluck Private E-2

Hi T,
    Just reading you post and....well, I don't know about the action you're proposing. I read about people trying to get rid of boot.tidserv in exactly that way and it looks like it's failing. But anyway, we'll give it a try.
    To get in the bios I start up with "delete" depressed no? And then I go to "Boot device", select the disk drive and then? How do I get in the Recovery Console ?

D

8. TimW

You boot to the cd. Then hit the first option for Repair, which should take you into the Recovery console.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds