Newbie Formating Computer (help!!!)

Discussion in 'Software' started by bonniehandi, Feb 5, 2005.

1. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I am formating my computer for the first time, so I have a few questions.

Situation: I have a virus, so I want to erase EVERYTHING from my harddrive. And I want to fragment my harddrive while I am doing that.

1. Does just putting the WinXP cd in and do that thing achieve my purpose? (If not, how do I go into dos and format it)
    2. Does my computer know to detect all my harddrives, dvd, cd drive, etc...
    3. If I have a built in network card (on the motherboard), do I still need the driver for it?
    4. Is there anything else important that I should/must know so I won't kill my computer?

Thank you so much in advance :)

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Wiping your hard drive and re-installing to a clean drive certainly is an option when dealing with a virus infection, but it does mean re-installing all of the software you're using, re-configuring that software, then restoring your data from backup. That can take an awful lot of time -- especially if the re-install of your operating system doesn't go cleanly. (For instance, perhaps because you overlooked a driver that Windows doesn't provide for your system, and didn't notice the lack until you've started the re-install, so of course you can't use your system to go get a copy of the driver off the Internet. Been there, done that; threw away that T-shirt.)

Current AV packages can find and remove most viruses, and it's a lot less time-consuming when it works. And you always have the option of re-formatting and starting again anyway.

Or have you already tried removing the virus? (And of course, there are guys around here that can help you with that too, if you've run into a problem.)

4. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Oh, me too. How many times, too!

Hey, bonniehandi,
    I would suggest, if you have, say, a Dell, or some computer that comes from a factory, like that, to make sure that you have all of the device drivers BEFORE you start to reinstall.

People here will agree with me. Do not use the Microsoft device drivers. Use the ones that come from the hardware manufacturers.

Although it is troublesome, I myself take this view:
    If someone is new to computering, and they are enthusiastic, a well-planned, guided reinstall of the OS can be a good way to break the ice with your computer, to get to know it a little. At least you are doing something other than just surfing, etc...

Now, there are cool tricks, too, like partitioning your harddrive, then putting all your data on the seperate partition. That makes it very easy to back up the data, or to just leave it there on subsequent reinstalls.

Good luck, and the folks here will definitely "hold your hand" through this if you want/need them to.

:)

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

6. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

Thanks all

I have all the drivers already (I have too many bad experience with MS drivers, esp. my video card)

Yea. I do want to repartition my drives. Can you please tell me how.
    Thanks.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Hey Icon, If you had read the thread you would have seen it was updated on 1-22-04!

The rest of your post, try in English, that's what most speak around here.

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

When you say repartition, as in multiple partitions, like one for the OS and another or more for storage?
    What brand HDD do ya have?
    Most all HDD manufactures have Utilities avaible for Diagnostics/Formating/Partitioning (free download at thier Web site)
    Maxtor = MaxBlast
    Western Digital = Data Lifeguard Tools
    Simple to use for single or multiple partition setup.
    Or just use the XP CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds