newbie here! hello!

Discussion in 'Software' started by wheelsgirl, Mar 21, 2013.

1. wheelsgirl

wheelsgirl Private E-2

hello out there in geekland! i am a beginner in the forum world and am probably over my head but i need help! i recently downloaded a file that is a AVI/DVid
    file i cannot get it to open with any media player i have...nor can i convert it with the many many did i say MANY? converters i have downloaded and tried
    i would love to be able to burn this file to dvd to watch on the comfort of my couch instead of sitting in front of my pc, but can't even get it to open...
    can any one out there help??????:confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Wheelsgirl and welcome to the forum

A few questions and a answer for you also.

1. What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?
    2. What video are did you download, a link to it would help as we can work out its codec (codecs are files that allow various media files to play ok on PCs)
    3. DVDFlick is good and free to allow the burning of DVDs for playing on normal players.

3. wheelsgirl

wheelsgirl Private E-2

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I can help you with codecs and this is one I would use HERE but getting a suspect copyright movie to work is way out of our remit on the forum as we do not condone illegal materials.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds