Newbie Question Here

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjranger, Aug 19, 2015.

1. tjranger

tjranger Private E-2

I just got satellite internet for my computer for 60 bucks a month with 10 Gigs of data monthly. I read afterwards to be careful with netflix and streaming video because it will eat up my internet data fast. That sux. Seems like there is a way around this? When I connect to WiFi on my phone, I thought I wasn't using up any data on my phone? And if that's correct, why couldn't I just run my CPU on WiFi and the same principle apply? I like downloading movies off the internet, and if I'm going to eat up the 10 gigs fast doing that, then that sux big time. Am I screwed? Thanks

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can use Wi-Fi on your PC as long as you are within range of a Wi-Fi hotspot.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can you track your monthly usage?
    I have Comcast cable and can log in and check what I've used for the month.

There is no way around the monthly data usage when connected at home to your satellite service.

Also, if you upgrade to Windows 10, that will eat into your monthly usage. The download is about 3GB and there have been two rather large updates in the past 3 weeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds