Newbie totally lost

Discussion in 'Software' started by A12MCMULLIN, Dec 28, 2010.

1. A12MCMULLIN

A12MCMULLIN Private E-2

I have a Dell Optiplex GX520 and caught a bunch or re-directing viruses that my virus protection didn't stop. I re-installed Windows XP Pro and now it has no sound device. After researching the web I thought it was a driver problem so I purchased Paretologic Drivercure. After a scan it showed I was missing 13drivers. When I tried to download the drivers none would install, only error messages saying they did not install and please try again later. So I wasted $30 on that one. Are there any suggested Driver fixers I can buy that will fix this for me? One that does the downloading automatically perhaps? I know nothing about a computer so please simplify things as best as possible. This has now been 3 days like this and I've downloaded so many things it's not even funny anymore. Please help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I never like driver fixers personally as they for me dont always supply the correct driver, they pick a generic one and not all generic ones will fit all types of PC hardware, you are bets to goto Dell support and get the correct supplied ones from them, the below is really simple to do as all you are doing is downloading (do download them to your desktop use Save As and not Run) then run the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install and then install the next and so on,

What Service Pack is your XP at?

All the drivers are HERE for your model GX520 and for XP

To get your audio working then install the Chipset driver from HERE and reboot (do reboot as it completes the install)

then install the UAA HD Audio driver from HERE (if you dont have SP3 installed, if XP is at SP3 then you have it already so dnt download and install, just skip to the Audio driver) then install the Audio driver from HERE, reboot and test sound.

Then open up Device Manager and tell us what devices have yellow ! marks by them and maybe we can choose the correct driver for you.

3. A12MCMULLIN

A12MCMULLIN Private E-2

Thank you so much, I did the Chipset driver, re-booted and I have sound again! How do I open Device Manager?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Right click My Computer / properties / Device manager tab.

5. A12MCMULLIN

A12MCMULLIN Private E-2

Yes it shows 3 with the yellow exclamation and questionmark. They are:

Ethernet Controller
    Video Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

6. A12MCMULLIN

A12MCMULLIN Private E-2

DavidGP the links you gave me fixed every single thing on my computer. Thank you so much

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi A12MCMULLIN

Cool stuff, glad you managed to fix your PC drivers, see you now know a little more about computers than you did yesterday, thats all it takes a small nudge to what to do to fix an issue.

Cheers for the update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds