Newegg MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I_Need_Help_06, Mar 28, 2008.

1. I_Need_Help_06

I_Need_Help_06 Private E-2

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my MOBO from stock and and i came across this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

now when is says

Supported CPU Type: Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium Extreme / Pentium D

is that all that is supports or can i put in a Pentium 4 in there?

This is the best board i can find for my price range, but Dual-core CPU's are expensive. I found a Pentium 4 for $67, thats about what I'm wanting. So, could i have something like that in the MOBO? I know Dual-cores are better but not $100 better.

ALSO when is says Memory Standard DDR2 1066, could i use a DDR2 800 Memory instead, as it's a lot cheaper?

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

It should if your CPU is a 775 LGA socket... not all P 4s are.

I recomment checking the MOBO makers website for compatable memory.

3. I_Need_Help_06

Hello,

Ok this is what I'm wanting will all this stuff work.

It comes out about $222.97 which is perfect a price range, I have 300 to spend and the money saved could go toward a 8600Gt for $90 a few weeks after i get parts set up.

MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104008

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116004

The CPU is a P4, thats only if i could run a P4 with no problems.

Would this stuff work together with no problems?

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Can I ask what you indend on using for an OS? And what about HD or CD/DVD?

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

the processor is on the supported list so it should work just fine
    kingston listed as compatible so should be ok there

6. I_Need_Help_06

I was planing on using my XP disk as I'm not ready for vista till it becomes standard.

My HDD is going to be the one i got now, an 80GB one that came with my Dimension 2400. I'm only using 11.1Gb as i cant play games newer than 2002 on any setting over low. I want games from 2005 on back to get at least mid-high on all settings. I'm sure 8600GT would KOTOR on all settings with a P4, I'm playing it now with a Celeron CPU and PCI Version of a FX5500. :( it sucks i need a better system thats why i picked those parts.

I also want durable as i don't want the parts breaking down in 2 years with moderate gaming.

also for those parts what Power supply would you recommend so it's stable.

7. I_Need_Help_06

sorry for double posting, the edit button is gone :cry :confused

I was thinking of this power supply, i took the Newegg power supply calculator and it said i would need around 340 for the parts that i want. so i figured 400W would be good, since it don't count fans and i only have stock. (That will change later as well)

For a while the Graphics card can wait, cause i have a back up but i just need main parts, so maybe i can play these game because i can blow most of the games out of the water with my setup but my CPU kills me :cry

Damn Celeron and there No MATHS processors!

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Do you have a Retail XP disk or are you talking about your version that came with your Dell? Because you are basicly talking about doing a new build and the OEM disk from Dell will probally not work.

I think a 400 W should be fine. See If you can get a 450 for future expandabilty. And what about a case? Not sure if this will all fit into a Dell case either.

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

10. I_Need_Help_06

I'm not sure if it's OEM or not. I had to stick a burnable CD into the PC and burn XP off onto the CD. It's Called a "Dell OS Recovery CD" .....could that be put back into a new computer and would work fine? Because i don't plan on reformatting the HDD as i just did that 4 days ago. getting ready for new parts and making sure the PC is clean and fast.

This website shows whats in the DIM 2400 and it's massive heat sink for the CPU! Mine is upgraded though i have a FX 5500 Graphics cards, +1 GB of RAM along with the original 256MB that came with it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ages?q=Dimension+2400&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

I know it says that the CPU goes up to 2.4 for Celeron but mines a 2.6, Well actually it's a 2.8, but they ran out of 2.6Ghz CPU when they built mine and had to put a 2.8 Celeron in there and they Under-cloaked it. Dell's BIOS sucks though i cant go back in a re-clock it!

11. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I doubt your Dell (or what ever you copied from it) will work with your new rig. During the install process XP will be looking for a Hardare Abstraction Layer of your orginal Dell (or close to it).

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds