Newer hardware and older OSes.

Discussion in 'Software' started by noidly1, Jan 28, 2008.

1. noidly1

noidly1 Private E-2

I have an Asus A8N32SLI mobo with an AMD 4800 dual core CPU. and 2gig. memory.

i have MS-Dos 6.22 loaded and it works fine.

I installed Win 3.1 but, here is the kicker, when the comp. boots up in Dos, all is fine until I type in "Win" at the prompt and press enter. The screen goes to the Win 3.1 Welcome screen and the comp. Locks up. WTF?

I went into the bios and diabled the plug-n-play OS option and tried everything that I could think of that may mess-up Win 3.1 to no avail... Dang.

So, next I tried to install 98SE. NOT... the boot disk hangs right after the CD-ROM driver is loaded and starts to do a PCI scan, USING "Mechanism #2" WTF is that??? LOCKED-UP AGAIN...

I had XP-64 running on it before, Had a couple of video bugs but ran non the less... The trial period ended so I wiped the drive and repartitioned it with Dos-6.22 fdisk.

Is there an issue with old OSes and newer hardware?

Thanks.

F.Y.I.; I plan on having multiple OSes on this comp.
    Dos-6.22
    Win-3.1
    98SE
    XP
    XP-64
    and 2 or 3 Linux distros.
    Not sure about Vista yet though...

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Your best bet is to run VMWare Workstation or M$ Virtual PC to run those older OSes on a new system. Plus you dont have to reboot into each OS, they run in different windows. I could only image the issues theold OSes are having with the new hardware.. for one I heard Win 98 only handles 512 MB, altough I installed it with a gig in place & cut it down later to get it more stable.

3. noidly1

noidly1 Private E-2

Thanks but that does'nt help.
    I am trying to set it up for multi-boot configuration, not an emulator.

Is there such a thing as a generic DOS CD-ROM driver? I beleive I can get 98 to install if I had the dos driver.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes. If you have a 98 boot floppy the oak file is the one that will load a driver for a CD in DOS.

5. noidly1

noidly1 Private E-2

Got it. Thanks all.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I would imagine that the older OSes will have a heck of time with dual core processors. And what about video drivers for Win3.1??? Unless you're running an OLD Virge or Trident PCI video card, or maybe a Tseng Labs ISA video card... remember those? ;) ... which brings me to another question: Win3.1??? MSDOS 6.22??? Why??? :confused

7. noidly1

noidly1 Private E-2

Tried 3.1, locks. Uselesss anyway. not used.
    Tried 98, Can get only base to run. 1gig ram limit. no drivers.

My intent for DOS-6.22 and 98se OSes are 2 fold.

1; Format partitions to DOS-6.22 FAT, so I can defrag 98 and XP partitions Completely... via DOS-6.22 defrag and have better control of Win files and also prevent compileing.

2; Install 98se for 98 Native, 16 bit and older 32's, Apps. and Games and game Controlers that aren't made for, or run well in, XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds