News site videos

Discussion in 'Software' started by wmarkj, Jun 9, 2006.

1. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

Can anyone get the videos on foxnews.com and cnn.com to play? CNN error says i need Win Media Player 9 or above, not detected. I have v. 10

2. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi!
    I just watched the videos on foxnews.com and cnn.com...no probs
    I also have Media Player 10
    Have you tried tonight?
    Maybe there was a 'foul-up' when you tried before?
    :confused:

4. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

still not working tonight. I play videos on other sites no prob.

5. Toni_1947

Well, that's weird for sure and I don't know what it could be since you say other videos on other sites play fine.
    Have you tried Troubleshooting the player at Microsoft?
    For some reason I can't get there right now...I hope I don't have a weird prob too!

6. Toni_1947

I finally made it!
    If you get an error message you may find an answer HERE:

Troubleshooting Windows Media Player 10
    Error Messages http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/errors.aspx

Provides information to help you troubleshoot the most common error messages that you might encounter when using Windows Media Player 10. The messages are identified by a numerical ID such as C00D0BC2 and 800704CF.

7. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

at this time I'm not even getting to the place where I would have an error code number. I click on the link for the video on the home page, and the page just sits there. The bottom left corner indicates it needs to go to a link via some javascript.

8. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

PS I have Java enabled in my Firefox browser and IE

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you have any popup blockers installed ( toolbar type ones as well ) if so disable to test the videos again.

Also delete temp internet and cookies, odd occasions a rogue file in temps can upset internet content.

10. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I disabled Google toolbar and IE pop up blockers, and tried using Firefox with pop up blocker disabled just before I read your reply, to no avail. I also tried lower security/privacy settings, temporarily enabling all the disabled scripts in security, no avail.

11. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

just tried a video on cnn again. Error message is "Win media player not detected". I have the latest, v. 10.

12. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

so after receiving that error, I tried with IE. With IE, the thing launches, but just sits there, won't play the video I click on.

13. DavidGP

Blind off the head thought, I wonder if for some reason a registry entry or file is not being read by those sites media software? possible re-install WMP10 to see if any missing entries/files are restored.

Add cnn.com and foxnews.com to your allowed site lists of both IE and FF ( found in the Privacy Tab of both apps ).

14. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

check this out! I log in to my wife's Win XP profile, and everything works great on both sites, all videos play. Go back to mine, they don't

15. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

couldnt see where to add sites to allow with firefox, but did so with IE. This did not work. All works great on wife's profile, go figure :)

16. DavidGP

Firefox, its located in Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions

Did you delete the temp internet files including "all offline files"?

Finally thinking that the wmp dll file is somewhat not registered for some reason, try this

Start > Run and type or copy n paste this regsvr32 wmp.dll ( note the space between the 3 and w ) and click OK, test again.

17. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

tried all that, no change. I'm asking myself what process is loading on my profile that is not loading on my wifes, that is causing me to not be able to launch or play these videos?

18. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I disabled Norton Internet Security, and all works. Funny thing, my wife has Norton Internet Security on all the time, and she never had a problem. Any ideas on what aspect of NIS I should disable?

19. DavidGP

Check the firewall for blocking of WMP, also if NIS has popup protection disable that and test, if the vids work then check the settings to see if you can allow certain sites, SORRY but I am not au fait with NIS.

also double check all her settings to yours, I know a long winded process but you may get to the bottom of which setting is blocking you.

20. Toni_1947

Maybe?
    To check protection levels

1) In the main window, click Norton Protection Center
    2) In the Norton Protection Center window, click a protection category
    3) Review the list of protection items.

It may be that it's under the protection category "web browsing"... If it has something to add a site or remove one this might be where to do it.

I found THIS:
    Sorry, I don't know much about NIS....others do and maybe they will give you a DEFINITE fix.
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds