nforce 680i SLI mobo replacment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjk300, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tjk300

tjk300 Private E-2

I have a custom built PC I put together 3-4 years ago loosely based on a magazine build. The computer shut down a week ago and will no longer boot up. Long story short I have replaced a bad PSU and now it seems the mobo is toast.

The mobo is a nforce 680i SLI which from what I can tell is no longer made. Some can still be found on the internet but for hundreds of dollars I was wondering if there are any good new replacements that would be compatable with my old hardware. At least until I can afford to upgrade everything else.

I'm not super tech savy but here is what I currently have

-Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16
    -Processer: Intel Pentium D (I understand if this will need to be replaced)
    -Graphics: PNY 9800GTX PCIe 2.0
    -Optical drive: Sony DRU-190A

Hard drive compatability is the most important thing as I have a lot of important things on it.

Am I better off finding another 680i until I can do a complete re-build or are there any options? If there is any additional info I need to give let me know.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Unless you get the exact same board, it's almost certain you'll have to reinstall Windows and any software (MS-Office, games, etc.).

My suggestion is to:

* Hook the hard drive to another PC and copy your files to an external drive.

* Find the install discs and license codes for your software (if your current copy of Windows is an "OEM" version, you may have to purchase a new license).

* Rebuild the PC with a new board and CPU. To be on the safe side, I'd also get a new power supply if your current one is over three years old.

* Reinstall Windows - this will wipe the old copy of Windows plus all your software and data off the drive, so be sure you've backed up all your files.

* Reinstall your other software.

* Start enjoying your new, much faster PC.

Hope this helps. :)

3. tjk300

tjk300 Private E-2

Is there anything about hard drive compatablity I need to know? Or should a new mobo at least be backwords compatable with what I have? The compatablity list I found on the internet is of course old (2008). Thank you.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not just re-install, but buy a new license. If the original disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". You can only legally transfer that license to a new motherboard (1) as part of a repair action, and (2) if the replacement motherboard is an exact replacement for the one that has failed. The only exception is if an exact replacement is no longer available but then your only option is to install the replacement as recommended by the original board maker.

In other words, you cannot take this opportunity to "upgrade" to a better board, or to switch brands. If the original disk is a full "Retail" version (does not have any of those markings listed above), then you can transfer that Windows license to a new computer.

Note this is not just a Microsoft licensing issue. Most "OEM" software you purchase has these restrictions.

If your WD drive is SATA, you will not have a hardware compatibility issue. Your DVD may be another story as it uses the old EIDE (PATA) interface. While most new motherboards still support 1 PATA interface connection (for two devices), PATA is phasing out being replaced by SATA so new motherboards are (or will be) appearing with no PATA support).

You can look towards the past and make sure any new hardware supports old (legacy) stuff, just understand it may hold you back for future upgrades/additions. Or you can look towards the future to ensure your new board will support you for years to come.

5. tjk300

tjk300 Private E-2

Thanks for the help. It is probably time for me to upgrade my OS as well (XP). So I guess it will be a new mobo, processor, OS and possibly DVD drive.
    It was time for a serious upgrade anyway.:-D

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

And new RAM and maybe yet another new PSU too (depending on the size of the one you just got).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds