Nforce chipset and optical drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phredrick, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

I have an A7N8X board with a DVD burner and reader on the secondary IDE controller. Someone told me for best performance use Microsoft IDE drivers because nForce drivers do not work well with optical drives. Have any of you found this to be a problem?

Also, can anyone with an A7N8X recommend a compatible chipset for a PCI controller card, I'm looking to install a third DVD writer and third Hard drive, doesn't need to be SATA but a plus.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Chipset drivers & Optical drive drivers = Two different things.
    Use the Chipset drivers from your MOBO cd, or go to MOBO manufactures web for the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.
    For DVD/CD burners/rom, the driver's are built in the windows OS, no need to do anything there.
    For add on PCI card use the drivers supplied with the card, or look to manufactures web for the latest.

3. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

I'm sorry I am not too keen on all of this and may not have been very clear.

I am not talking about drivers for the optical drives.

I'm talking about the nforce drivers that came with my mobo. If I am not mistaken, the nforce drivers that came with my mobo are also drivers for my IDE controllers on my mobo. I have been told that the nforce drivers (southbridge chipset) tend to cause problems with optical drives and it is best not to intall the IDE drivers that came with my mobo (nforce) and instead just use the standard windows drivers.

As far as PCI card, I'm looking for a chipset that does not have any conflicts with the nforce chipset. In other words, does anyone know if the A7N8X, nforce2 chipset has conflict/stability issues with PCI IDE controller cards based on silicon image chipset, promise chipset, via chipset, ITE chipset, etc.? Or more specifically, what chipsets work well with the nforce2 chipset?

4. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

Just bringing it to the top o' the pages again.

5. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

Please help...

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I did a little reading after my post the other day, seem's not to be big issue as too what pci card will be the most compatitable, some do have issues but with no ryme or reason, nor with any particular mobo or chipset!

NForce 2 Chipset is top dog for socket A mobo's.

Stick to brand name PCI card from reputable retailer, if you experiance problems simply return it.

At Asus web they offfer Silicon Image sata drivers on thier download page for A7N8X Deluxe E mobos "hint hint" they must have found some compatibility.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds