nitialized main hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert221usa, Nov 23, 2013.

1. robert221usa

robert221usa Private E-2

Hey guys - I am not 100% sure what went wrong - I was trying to clone a hard drive that I found some bad clusters on and it started to clone then stopped and said it could not locate the hard drive.

The drive in question was the main drive for my wifes computer - I have it out now and is in a USB enclosure and when I put it on my computer it shows up as 2 drives and F "Reserve" and an H nothing - when I click on F it shows me it is empty even though it says 50 mb of 100mb is used - when I click on H it says drive not initialized - and that is where my main data is - this was from a dell computer so I am sure the 100mb F drive is a partition - or guessing.

Any thoughts on how I can recover data from a drive that doesn't really show up in "my computer"?

Running win 7

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

What kind of software are you using to try to clone the drive?

This might be an operating system issue, you could try downloading GParted and burning a LiveCD or USB stick, that way you could try to clone the drive without going through Windows 7.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds