NMI Parity Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krayzie993, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Krayzie993

Krayzie993 Private E-2

I've had my computer for a few years now, and randomly it crashes with the NMI parity error. I thought it was because of Yahoo instant Messanger cause it will crash within 30 min of opening the program, but it has recently done it without YIM being opened (although not even close to as often). I also have gotten the ati2diag error, which is obviously a video card problem. I have updated the drivers since then and have only gotten that message one other time. Now when it crashes it's simply the NMI parity error. I have run Memtest and it found no problems, I have also done a repair install in windows. I wonder if my video card is shot which would not be fun as it is not replaceable.

I'm running the Dell D810 and as far as I know, I do not believe the RAM is even parity. Would I be best off doing a reformat of the hard drive?? or are there other options I have??

Also when I am actually using the computer it doesn't seem to crash (it has) but most of the time it is while the screen saver is running and the computer is idle. I am just using the basic Windows XP screen saver so it's not like it's putting a load on the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Unfortunately it sounds like your graphics card is shot, or getting there. I hope someone can come along with another, better and more friendly, answer.

3. Krayzie993

Krayzie993 Private E-2

that was exactly my thought process...the only thing that sucks is i would have to buy a new motherboard as dell has a wonderful design of not allowing you to replace the graphics cards as they are connected directly to the motherboard...oh well...i uninstalled YIM and i'll see if the problem continues.

4. Krayzie993

Krayzie993 Private E-2

well i looked into the specs on my computer and apparantly because i have the radeon x600 video card it is replaceable without having to purchase a whole new motherboard. I still get the same problem with everything uninstalled that I thought would cause it. Does anyone think it's def a video card problem before I go putting money into a new card?? I don't really know of any tests I can run to test hardware. I figure right now I'm at a trial and error stage. Is it also possible to rule out the motherboard??? Any help right now is good help!!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Before you buy another video card, turn off the screensaver. Wait and see if you get any more NMI parity errors. If not, then the free solution is to not run a screensaver.
    The card is getting older and maybe the screensaver is stressing it too much.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds