No Audio Device Found (Everest report attatched)

Discussion in 'Software' started by greg214, Jan 27, 2008.

1. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

I have read a few of the posts here regarding audio problems. Mine is similar. I have taken the following steps over the past week to try to get back my sound. By the way I am using USB headphones. The computer has no speakers. It's a compaq SR2020NX and I have Windows XP Media edition 2 and service pack 2 installed. The device manager does not recognize any audio devices whatsoever.

1.) removed and reinstalled device manager audio devices (the one that I could)
    2.) downloaded and installed motherboard_driver_chipset_nvidia_c51_xp64, but I did not install the IDE option.
    3.) enabled windows audio service and selected start service upon failure in all 3 drop down menu places.
    4.) enabled onboard sound card in the BIOS (was disabled)
    5.) Installed sound drivers from compaq's webpage including realtek high def, and also UAA high def bus drivers (sp26792, sp32646 (UAA), sp26334 (Another UAA), and also WDM_A403.
    6.) Installed the AC3 Codec
    7.) none of the compaq drivers themselves show up on my add/remove programs list, but realtek high def driver does though and so does the AC3 codec.

I have done jus about everything except toss the computer out the window .

The answer is most likely so simplistic it hurts... please help and thanks in advance for any or all help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Your report up-loaded a little jumbled, so it is a little hard to find all the details. So, I need your help a bit.
    I can see the Realtek HD driver in the Device Manager section of Everest, so it looks like it is installed. You said it does not show in the Device Manager on your PC, right?
    The chipset drivers that you installed, were they the original HP drivers or did you get them from another site? (nVidia)
    Have you looked in the USB section of Device manager to make sure you don't have a problem there?
    Have you tried hooking up speakers or non-USB headphones?
    It's possible that you may need to download the HP chipset drivers if you already haven't. They can be Model specific.
    Was that the Realtek HD driver?

3. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

I got confused thinking there should be more. They must all be included in 1.

I got them from nVidia today. (not the original ones, but were recommended for my computer)

I did look, and removed the USB Audio device today and upon reboot it reinstalled itself upon startup without any prompting whatsoever. I did not mess with any of the USB universal serial bus controllers however. All serial bus controllers seem to indicate that they are working properly.

No, but I thought about it today, however I do not have any non-usb speakers at my disposal unless I ask one of my roomates later today perhaps ?

It is very possible the only chipset drivers I got were the nVidia ones today, and I was unaware of any others that existed. The ones I got were motherboard_driver_chipset_nvidia_c51_xp64 (or C51)

Yes at one point I attempted to remove the realtek HD driver earlier this week upon counsel from an HP technician, however the driver set kept comping back and showing in the Hardware device manager and seemed which maybe it should have, but even after I uninstalled it in add/remove programs it still showed up so I just reinstalled it and left it there.

Again thank you for working with me through this.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

So that means it IS showing in Device Manager now? Sorry, I just need to be certain that we are on the same page. (It should be showing if it is installed)
    If it is in Device Manager now with no ? or ! in front of it then it is a good install. That would lead me to believe the problem is either USB, which you said is showing no problems or it is the headphones themselves.
    The nVidia chipset drivers seems to be working OK, without using the HP originals. (Sometimes the OEM chipsets are slightly modified and need the OEM drivers instead of the motherboard maker's drivers, but this doesn't seem to be the case here) I don't believe your Audio driver would show if the chipset wasn't recognizing it.
    You might check Device Manager again and see if you see the headphones actually showing up in the USB section.
    Also make sure to check a different sent of headphones or speakers.

The only other thing I can recommend, if the speaker/headphone test doesn't show sound and you can't find your headphones in device manager, is to try the HP original chipset driver and Realtek drivers.
    These are the HP drivers:
    Fall 2006 Original NVIDIA Chipset Drivers
    Install, re-boot, check your sound.

Fall 2006 Original Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers
    You may need to go through all the steps to get this to install.
    You might try using the HP UpDate, if you have it installed, before trying the drivers above. You will certainly want to use it after installing those drivers to get your system back up to date.

5. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

yes here are 3 screen shots of my device manager and usb audio properties, and my sound properties in control panel, so yes. I do not see anything for my USB headphones there so you may be right. :confused

Attached Files:

• ss.gif
      ss.gif
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.gif
      ss2.gif
      File size:
      12 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.gif
      ss3.gif
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I've never dealt with USB head phones before.. I think the USB Device in your Sound, Video, and etc. is your headphones, unless you have an external sound card plugged into a USB port. Do you have an idea what that USB Audio device is?
    I noticed in the second screen shot the USB Device is listed under Mixer Devices.
    I don't know if you can access the right settings, but this is something I have come across in the past and never had a chance to check out.
    Check: Your audio mixer software (if installed) for a setting that mutes back panel audio if you have plugged headphones into a front panel audio solution. Uncheck: this setting to allow audio to both the back and front.
    That is meant for the audio jacks themselves but in this case it may also be part of the problem.

The third screen shot shows no playback device. I am not sure where to go now.
    Have you gone into the Advanced features there to see if there is something not set-up right?
    Everything looks good in Device Manager (except your Firewall driver)
    Could you try up-loading your report again? Check the text file before you do, make sure word-wrap is on (it's listed under format)

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've had past problems with USB speakers/headphones also, and I really don't recommend them. Why they even exist is a bit of a mystery, but, whatever. They're here, they're queer, we'll get used to it ;) I really have no solid advice here. But here's what I would do in your situaution. Unplug the USB headphones. Uninstall ALL audio software and drivers from both Add/Remove Programs and the Device Manager. You can (and probably should) leave the default ones in the Device Manager; like the Audio/Video Codecs and the Legacy devices. After removing/uninstalling these things, reboot. Cancel the Hardware Wizard if/when it pops up each time. Reload the chipset drivers and reboot. Again cancel the Hardware Wizard. Reload your sound drivers and reboot. Now, before rebooting you may want to think for a minute: do I plug in the USB headphones before Windows loads to the desktop (like during the post), or do I wait until Windows is all loaded up, then plug in the headphones. This is up to you. I'm not sure which would work better, or if it even makes any difference. Other than that, I really can't think of anything to add, except maybe try a normal set of speakers/headphones. You can get a set of "el cheepo" headphones at any of those "Dollar Discount" type of stores.

8. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

Again thanks for the help and advice.

I put the report in HTM format and can be viewed on my FTP server here
    http://www.boredinnc.net/ftp/Report.htm

I followed those instructions by uninstalling all the software and then reinstalling the chipset and then the drivers with the headphones unplugged, but still no audio device or mixer or nothing.

Yes I just did that with the high def control panel I enabled jack detection for the front panel and the back panel is not really allowed, but also noise supression for the mic options and acoustic echo cancellation.
    Also I made output mic in/line for front panel only in my HD control panel but no luck.

9. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

Winamp Screen Shot + error message :major

Attached Files:

• ss1.gif
      ss1.gif
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, I went looking to find some things out about USB headphones.
    The first thing I found was, they should be set as Default audio device through Device Manager in the Sound, Video, and Games section. It should be in the Playback devices. Does clicking the arrow open a choice menu for devices? Or does Advanced give you that choice?
    If you hook-up external speakers or regular headphones, the default would have to be set back to them

I found that WMP also needs to be set up for USB if you are using it (some other media players also)
    Try this in Windows Media Player:
    Tools > Options... > Devices tab > Speakers > Properties button > Sound Playback > Audio device to use:
    Looking through your Everest report (Thanks) everything looks right there. It shows drivers are all installed for your audio.
    Looking back in your original post you said you changed your Bios back to on-board sound, if the above things don't work, leave them set for USB and re-set your BIOS audio back to what it was.

You said you were trying to get back your sound, did you have it using the USB headphones, or are they new?
    Did you happen to add any new programs at the time your sound went?
    And do you have the software that came with the headphones. You may want to try re-installing that driver, after trying the other things listed here. (Everest shows a WDM_USB driver already installed for USB audio device, but possibly it is not the right one for your headphones)

Attached Files:

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

LOL, looks like you posted while I was fooling around with my post.

That WinAmp message just might do the trick. I can't find a "Configuration", in WinAmp, so I am not sure what they are talking about. I will look further into that, try the thingsin my last post and I'll get back with you.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok Winamp should be set like this:
    Preferences>Output>Nullsoft Directsound>Click Configure and make sure the device is set to "Primary Sound Driver"
    This will make sure its using the default sound device thats chosen in Device Manager.
    So Device Manager default sound does have to be set to your USB headphones.

13. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

screen shot 1 and 2 show that the usb device for the audio device and mixer are should be used with the device and I changed the BIOS back to disable the onboard sound card as instructed. also 3rd screen shot shows u my winamp config set to primary 01 (no other option)

by the way my friend hooked his headphones to the back panel and they didn't work.

funny thing jus happened the realtek high def drivers no longer show up in control panel or device manager and I never uninstalled them (only disabled onboard sound in BIOS)

OK I re-enabled the onboard sound in BIOS and now the high def drivers show in control panel and you were right about the switch to turn them on or off but as if I enable them in device manager then I can open them and diabling them disallows me to open them as they do not show in control panel at all.

Attached Files:

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The Realtek driver probably disappeared because on-board sound is disabled. It should still be installed though.
    Did you try your friend's headphones before or after disabling on-board sound?

Try clicking the scan for Hardware changes on that device. Also try re-booting. I had a fix here if you saw it but I want to do some more research, before you try that.
    Check if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices) It should be listed there.

I'll get back with you tomorrow.

15. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

here is the error i get with divx player

Attached Files:

• ss4.gif
      ss4.gif
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  16. greg214

greg214 Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Great, this was a hard one but glad I could help.[​IMG]
    Yes, you can take the file off your desktop. I would save it somewhere for a couple days, just in case. Then just delete it , if all is fine still.
    If you meant re-enabling the Realtek HD through BIOS, give it a try.
    If you lose your sound, check in Device Manager to make sure the default audio didn't change. If it is still right, turn the sound back off in your BIOS.
    (From what I read, the USB headphones are it's own sound card and won't use the Realtek driver, but if you use regular head phones or speakers, they will. you will have to change the default audio device though)
    Thanks for that clearer link. Bookmarked for the future.

EDIT: For any one wondering, this was the fix I gave greg214:
    Check if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices) It should be listed there!
    If it's not there, then here's the complicated stuff. Be sure to set a restore point FIRST!

1) Search for machine.inf
    2) Copy it to somewhere (Desktop) and modify it (find ExcludeFromSelect=* and remove the line or simply exclude it from processing by adding a ";" at the beginning)
    3) Check the machine.inf file for location where SWENUM should be located (It might say: SWENUM.CoInstallers.CopyFiles = 11 ; %windir%\System32)
    4) Find swenum.sys file on your XP Disc (DRIVER.CAB?) and copy it to the proper location (I am not sure if it is necessary, but...)
    5) Go to Control Panel>Add Hardware and follow the wizard towards manual selection of device to be added
    6) Select Add System Device
    7) Select Have Disk
    8) Navigate to changed machine.inf
    9) From the list select standard devices (in the left list) and "Plug and Play Software Enumerator" in the right list
    10) Finish the installation
    If it still does not work reinstall the audio adapters' drivers. It should work now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds