no audio in my dell inspiron 6000

Discussion in 'Software' started by clarck, May 17, 2010.

1. clarck

clarck Private E-2

hell guys, been having a serious problem. I have a dell inspiron 6000 , which i reformatted and installed windows xp service pack on it. However everything works except the audio, i even went to dell and downloaded the chipset and still no audio. when i go to control panel and sound and audio devices it is all greyed out and says no audio device. also when i try to install the drivers which i downloaded from the dell website it starts to install and then an ero comes up saying "C- Major audio device not present " and also to restart the computer and try reinstalling. I am new to this and can aynone please help, like i say its a dell inspiron 6000 laptop, and its motherboard chipset is Moblie Intel Alviso-G i 915M . Please can anyone help urgently?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

3. clarck

clarck Private E-2

hey collins , thanks for the link but i tried the sigmatel driver and getting the same problem , can you please help ?

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Okay try this: the driver, when you installed it, will have expanded itself to a location such as C:\dell\DRIVERS\ or C:\drivers\ or similar. Have a look at the downloaded driver, which should be KBxxxx.exe, where xxxx is a number. Find the equivalent folder in one of the above locations and search it for any .inf files. let me know if you find any, then we can move on to the next stage.

5. clarck

clarck Private E-2

well collins when i try to install the audio driver a message comes up saying "Device object not present , restart the system and run setup again ". Tis is my big problem

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Okay. Try this: right-click on "My Computer" and choose "manage". Then select "Device manager" on the left and see if there are any !s or ?s in there.

7. clarck

clarck Private E-2

ok collins i did this but saw neither in the device manager

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Is there a section for audio devices?

9. clarck

clarck Private E-2

yes there is

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What devices does it list?

11. clarck

clarck Private E-2

well under sound and audio devices , under volume everything is greyed out, under audio everything greyed out also

12. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What does device manager say about audio devices?

13. clarck

clarck Private E-2

however in the device manager , there is a section named sound, video and game controllers, when i left clike on it ther are 4 things that shows up , aaudio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices and video codecs

14. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

That's what I meant. It appears that your audio chip is no longer being recognised. I would take it to a computer professional to have it diagnosed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds