No Audio Output Device

Discussion in 'Software' started by connieh, Jul 18, 2011.

1. connieh

connieh Private E-2

The other day I noticed that I had a red x on my audio symbol in my icon tray. I have no sound and when I run my mouse on the audio symbol it says "No Audio Output Device Is Installed." I have run diagnostics and all it says is that there may have been some hardware changes that were not detected. I have gone under device manager and I have no section that says "Sounds, Games, and Controllers". I have done windows updates and that doesn't help my audio.

I have a Dell Inspiron zino HD 400 and run windows 7.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Is there anything in Device manager that has any warnings yellow ! or red x, if so please list them. Can I also have the service tag# for this machine, it is usually on a sticker somewhere on the casing.

or.....

Download the free, Speccy http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...s&txt=http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html then run Speccy and click File > Save as Text File, then attach the log as per instructions below (note: as Speccy also now lists more data it likely will have your Windows licence serial key also in the log, so look for Operating System and under that Serial Number and delete the code and Save the log)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

iain.t :major

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

4. connieh

connieh Private E-2

Here is my Speccy report.

Attached Files:

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    thanks for posting the log ;), that also states that it cannot detect an audio card.
    Have you tried the driver that I linked for your system in post #3 ? you may also need to check to see if the on board sound is enabled in the bios settings, I think it is f2 at boot for dell machines, you will need to enter the advanced setting and then look for something like onboard periferals then locate your sound and make sure it is enabled, please do not mess with any of the other settings in the bios as you could render your machine as about as much use as a brick :cry. I have also read that these small form factor machines are prone to over heating and could there for fried the onboard card, if this is the case then I would contact Dell and see if your machine is still covered by warranty, if it is not then you are looking at buying a usb audio card (upwards of $£40 for a decent one).

6. connieh

connieh Private E-2

I had tried that driver before and tried again after I read your post. When I try that it says that it cannot find the media driver for it. I also did the F2 when restarting the computer and could not find anything that I thought was related to audio that was disabled.

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi, is your machine still under warranty??

Is there anything in Device manager that has any warnings yellow ! or red x, if so please list them. Can I also have the service tag# for this machine, it is usually on a sticker somewhere on the casing.

8. connieh

connieh Private E-2

It has a yellow tag on composite bus enumerator and it has a yellow tag on 2 high definition audio controllers.
    5p4dnL1 is the service tag number.

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Ok I need for you to run driver sweeper to clear up any older audio drivers that may be causing conflicts.....

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

Download and install but do not run yet..... go to device manager and uninstall any reference to the conexant audio driver, then go to programs and features and uninstall the conexant driver from there if it is there.

Reboot into safe mode (f8 on boot).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YOU MUST DO THESE STEPS IN SAFE MODE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Run Driver Sweeper > in the top left of the screen you will see a list of options of what drivers are on your machine > choose Conexant in the sound option > click Analyze > click Clean (please run this option twice to clean any residual leftovers).
    Reboot into windows and click out of any found new hardware prompts. Install these drivers from here in the order that is shown.....

1. Chipset..... http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...peid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

Reboot your machine.

2. Audio..... http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...peid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

Reboot your machine.

Tell if you are still having issues and have any errors in device manager still.

10. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

You are welcome ;)!!

Welcome to MG's I hope you find all the information on here is as informative as this thread !! if you stick around you will indeed gain a wealth of knowledge from this site.

11. connieh

connieh Private E-2

I'm still having problems with sound. I went through the steps, but it wouldn't let me uninstall the conexant audio driver in the programs.

12. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi connieh,
    I am sorry to hear that you still do not have any sound, in your device manager is there still any warnings in the sound/video and games controllers tree ?? if so please let me know.
    Did you go through the install procedure of the chipset and audio drivers that i linked for you?? please let me know if you got any errors or warnings during the install or if they would not install.

13. connieh

connieh Private E-2

I don't have a sound/video/game controller section in my device manager. I still have yellow warning on high audio controllers and a bus enumerator that I deleted and not sure if that was a good idea or not. In sound and hardware it says no audio device installed.

14. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

:confused, connieh can you please take a screen shot of your device manager with the tree's with warnings on expanded... to take a screenshot... close or minimise any open programs and, open the device manager and click the + beside the tree's that have the warnings on. On your keyboard hit "Prt Sc SysRq" key, open Paint and click paste, you will now have the image of your device manager in paint, click save as (jpeg) and attach it to your next post like this... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

15. connieh

connieh Private E-2

Here is my device manager with warnings. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  16. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Thanks connieh,
    I see that you do actually have a sound/video and games controller tree in your device manager, it is the one above the system devices that you have expanded, could you please take another screen shot with that expanded to.
    I need to see if the conexant audio driver is still listed in that tree, if it is try this driver here...

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&site...4&fileName=cnet_6305_Vista_Win7_PG537_zip.exe

remember to restart your machine for the changes to take affect and be recognised by your system.

Iain.

17. connieh

connieh Private E-2

Here is the device manager with sound/games/controllers. I don't know why I missed that before. Thanks.

Attached Files:

18. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi connieh,

For some reason your system is not recognising the conexant driver, lets try installing it again, please follow these instructions exactly as stated....

Download.. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...kFormat=true&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13131857570621

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
    2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
    users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
    window appears.
    3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
    select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
    4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
    icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R230470.exe.
    2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
    unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R230470. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
    Setup.exe) file can be found later.
    3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
    4.Click OK.
    5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
    window is still open, close it.
    6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
    7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R230470 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
    8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Restart your machine.

Hopefully (fingers crossed ;)) your machine will of recognised the hardware and driver and you now have sound.

Iain.

19. connieh

connieh Private E-2

I did what you said and this is what came up. Everything did good until the installation.

Attached Files:

20. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi connieh,
    Cute Kids by the way ;), I think that your sound card has bit the dust :cry, I am going to ask another helper (more experienced than me) to get a second oppinion about this for you ok. How old is your machine?? it's not still under warranty is it??

21. connieh

connieh Private E-2

Thank you for the comment about my kids! My computer is about a year old and still has 170 days on dell warranty and I think I still have til the end of this month through the company where I purchased it.

22. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

If I was you I would book it in for a repair under the warranty, you may end up with a new machine ;), and back up all of your data/ files before sending it off.
    You will be best contacting the shop/retailer where you bought the laptop from as, looking at your warranty they have Next Business Day Support.

Keep me informed by posting here.. I have 2 kids too, both girls 11 and 21.

Iain

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds