NO BEEPS or BOOTUP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jthorn322, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

My computer had been working fine for two weeks since upgrade to mobo(GA-7ZXE-rev 1.1) and processor(AthlonXP1800). Saturday morning it wouldn't boot up. It powers on, processor fan is running. But, NO BEEPS while turning it on. Only a red light on casing is lit, no green light. Just get a blank screen..I took a look inside and noticed the video card fan wasn't running. I don't know if it's supposed to be running if the computer won't boot up or not? I also plugged in a different monitor, no luck. Going to check my RAM(1 stick of 256mgSDRAM), but wouldn't I get a beep if the RAM was bad at startup anyway? How do I know if the mobo went bad?

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

If the fan on the video card was not running and all the other fans are then the video card is bad giving you the black screen try swaping out the card

Rick

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

A bad CPU would not cause the mobo to send the POST beep errors through the case speaker, pretty much the only components that the POST would send a 'beep' alert for are RAM and Video, of course that is assuming that your case speaker wires are connected to the correct location on the mobo and the speaker is in working condition.
    If you are not getting any beeps at all despite the lack of anything coming up on the monitor and the cause is not due to case speaker than it would be something other than RAM or Video...most typical a bad RAM/AGP slot, dead mobo or incorrect BIOS settings. If your video card/RAM stick was bad and the case speaker wires were connected to the mobo, you'd hear beeps, for RAM they are quicker, for Video longer and a little slower beeps.
    Always start with the less destructive and costly troubleshooting steps which in this case would be (in the order I suggest you do):

1) Check the connections on the mobo, make sure you have plugged the Power cords properly, some mobos require an additional square shaped 12V power connection for CPU to work. If your CPU fan spins then obviously that is not applicable to your mobo model.

2) Remove and re-sit both the RAM stick/s and Video Card, make sure they are firmly and evenly sitted. Try one RAM stick at a time if you were using more than 1.

3) Reset BIOS settings, if you are not seeing any screens at all after boot then you would have to reset the BIOS via removing the BIOS/CMOS battery for 10 secs after unplugging the case power cord, or even better using the BIOS reset jumpers on the mobo (see mobo manual).

4) Remove your CPU heatsink and make sure the CPU is not damaged then re-sit everything properly back in their place.

If still no go, then quite possible your mobo is no good, if the previous steps yields some sort of a change on the problem, repost and let us know please.

4. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

I'd also suggest that if it's an AMD processor, which is VERY suspect to heat... and you're not getting any beeps, or anything up on the screen... i'd say it's a burnt out CPU. This is easily identifiable if you remove the heatsink, and look near the middle of the cpu for any black marks.

If this is the case... you're slightly screwed, sorry.

A.

5. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

I've actually had this happen to me twice (had a system running then pop up with these same symptoms). Both times it was the CPU. Neither time did the CPU have any visible marks on it. After chasing parts over and over again the first time, I checked a known good CPU in the mobo and it worked. The second time I checked the CPU first, saving myself signifigant time and aggrivation.

Just a tip...
    :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds