No boot device available strike F1 to retry boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckyvic, Aug 11, 2015.

1. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

About 2 weeks now my Dell Inspiron 570 began to refuse booting giving the report "No boot device available. Strike the F1 key to retry boot
    SATA 0: Installed
    SATA 1: Installed
    SATA 2: None
    SATA 3: None

I've several options but no luck. I need some real help, and willing to start over with all options again if someone can give me step by step instructions.

I'm still using Windows 7.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you running RAID? If not, which SATA is your boot device?

Since SATA doesn't depend on slave/master, switch the location of your boot device to SATA3 or SATA 4 and see if it boots - but only if it is not a RAID setup.

3. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

Not running RAID.
    I unplugged the power cord in the back, removed the battery and pushed on the power button a few times. It now booting up with no more errors.
    But, thank you for your time. I do appreciate it.

4. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

Rebooting was fine yesterday, but shutting down and powering up today I got the same error message.

How do I switch the location of the SATA device?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Plug the red sata cord into a different port on the motherboard. Apparently your motherboard has four sata ports on it : 0, 1, 2, and 3.

6. Dashing star

Dashing star Private E-2

In bios your sata drive is on like this,

[​IMG]

7. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

OK, thanks. How do I get to this? Is it F2 or F12?

8. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

Can you provide me with an image?

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

On a Dell, to get to Setup, you press F2 as soon as it comes up at the top right of the screen (and you have to be really quick!).

10. mdonah

Your SATA connections will look like the ones in the red outlined box. Unzip the image because it was too large in file size for MG's.

Attached Files:

11. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

I'm not getting this to show up. :-o

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Restart your PC and hover your finger above the F2 key. As soon as you see something on the screen, hit the F2 key.

13. mdonah

It's possible that you need to press the Fn key + F2 although, I don't need to on my Dell. When you boot the computer, during the POST screen does a notice "Press F2 to enter setup" and below that "Press F12 for boot options" show in the upper right corner?

14. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

I will upload an image of my pc, it doesn't look like this one.
    I must have a freak pc!!

15. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

There isn't a fn + key.
    Dell Slim Black 104 Key USB Keyboard (KB2521)

Attached Files:

16. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The Fn key you'll find on a laptop keyboard.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/biosaccess_pc.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds