no bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andantesash, Nov 17, 2012.

1. andantesash

andantesash Private E-2

I replaced the screen on my laptop today and when I turned it back on, the screen was working fine and then I got this message after the boot screen.

"no bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key"

So I put in my Win7 disk and loaded it, got to the 'system recovery options' box and there is no hard drive listed? I proceeded to reboot, go to the bios and into my boot order, where my samsung HD is reading as boot option 1, so I changed the settings from AHCI to IDE and tried to boot, it got passed the cant find bootable device and to the windows boot loading boot screen and froze after that.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Can you confirm the windows loading screen is visible?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num...edaaa4f7f9ffafe&bpcl=38625945&biw=979&bih=450

If so start the computer and keep tapping F8 just after the post screen, then enter safe mode.

Does your computer now load windows in safe mode?

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

take it back apart and recheck you connections, must of done something while replacing the screen if the drive doesn't show in BIOS.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Shows in bios.:)

5. andantesash

andantesash Private E-2

a few updates.

Yes the Windows loading page appears but only if I put it in IDE mode instead AHCI mode.

I noticed in the bios there is no hard drive listed on the main page where it shows system information, so I stripped the hard drive out - plugged it into my docking unit, it install as per normal - went to my computer to go in and back up files and when I double click it, its asking if I want to reformat.

What can I do?

6. tkappel1

tkappel1 Private E-2

Hey andantesash,

I might be in the same boat. I have a HP / Compaq nc6320 Laptop / Notebook Computer which I accidently - while in Bios / Cmos Setup activated Sanitize - this wipe out all disk partition or FAT tables.

The machine had Vista on it prior to this mistake. Some research states I can install OS Versions of XP through Windows 7.

A friend lent me his XP Pro but since the partition table is corrupt it wont recognize the HDD.

I want to help both of us here by offering the links & info I have researched and found on this Site.

Active@ Partition Recovery 7.1 [ 2012-07-19 | 17 MB | Shareware $35.95 | Win 8\ Win 7\ Vista\ XP | 55839 | 4 ]
    Recover deleted partitions, FAT and NTFS drives and much more.

Large Drive Tools 1.11 [ 2005-07-10 | 1.6 MB | Shareware $14.95 | Win All | 29871 | 2 ]
    Scans for defects, repair mbr, manage partitions and much more.

MyDefrag 4.3.1 [ 2010-05-21 | 1.98 MB | Freeware | Win 2000/03/08/XP/Vista/7 | 105962 | 5 ]
    A tool for disk defragmentation and Windows optimization. Fast, low overhead, with many optimization strategies. MyDefrag (formerly JkDefrag) is able to handle USB sticks/disks and floppies.

Drive Speed Checker 1.0.0 [ 2004-11-18 | 1.9 MB | Freeware | Win All | 31359 | 3 ]
    Diagnose drive issues by checking read, write, and search speeds.

DriverUpdate-setup.exe

ReimageRepair.exe

Maybe one or all these will be helpfull to you.

Now, I have either a 80 GB of 120 GB HDD in my Laptop. So, I would prefer to Partition it in to at least 4 Partitions so I can have 2 bootable parttions ( ne can fix the other and so forth. The other 2 can be for Document & Photos and the last for Media & Movies.

Problem I have is I am compiling all this info on my Mac and I am about to hopefully Burn a Bootable DVD containing XP Pro & the utilities listed above.

Once that is done, I doubt the utilities will mount or be visable so I can run them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    tkappel1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds