No display on monitor with video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I have some old video cards but i am unable to get display in my monitor.

I am sure i had some installation disc but i lost it or misplaced it. Where do i get what i need for an ati low profile card HD 3470?

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

No cd, ati website doesn't seem to have it.

I seem to have found drivers in other website but i cannot for the life or my get the dam thing to work..

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You only need drivers to enable enhanced features and resolutions. This is because Windows (all versions), all monitors, and all graphics cards know how to communicate at basic VGA resolutions. If they didn't, you could not see to access the BIOS Setup Menu, when in Safe Mode, or when installing Windows.

So, if you see nothing now without specific drivers, it is most likely the card is dead - assuming the monitor works, cables are connected properly, and the computer works fine otherwise.

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I cannot access the bios with the card because nothing is displayed on the monitor its just black.

The card isn't dead because i tested it in another computer which i believe had the card a few years back ( and the drivers already installed) and it works fine.

Just to verify - the gold pins in the video card need to be fully emerged in the slot? I only ask this because i can still see the part of the gold thing that is inserted into the slot, but i cannot push it down anymore because that is the most it will go down.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If note the card, then the motherboard, or power supply. I would start with the PSU.

And do make sure you unplug the PSU from the wall before inserting and pulling cards.

On most boards, PCIe cards "click" when fully inserted as the release lock closes into place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds