No display with graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I got a video card from a family member among other items that he had no use for.

The video card is a ati 5450 no fan just a heatsink. From what i gather this actually worked so i am not sure what i have to do to get it to work.

I am trying to use it on an asrock motherboard and a built in j1900 cpu.

I put the video card in the slot and plug in a monitor through its output but when i turn on the computer the screen is all black i get no display. Please note i cannot even access the bios portion while having my monitor plugged into the video because its black as soon as the pc starts ( meaning i cannot see the motherboard logo i see nothing..).

I searched around a bit and some people say to go into bios or uefi and set primary display option as pci-e etc.. but i see no such option in my uefi settings.

I know my power supply isn't an issue because an ati 5450 would run without an issue on a 350 watt psu and, and considering i am using a 10 watt cpu i am confident the video card should work even on a psu lower than half of mine.

I tried the video card on a different computer and while i still got a black screen i saw a black screen with an underscore in the top left corner and that is all i would see ( it wouldn't even boot to the pc logo).

Is the videocard fried? The computer does not give me any beep codes nor does it appear something is malfunctioning through just hearing the internals move etc.

The pc seems to ''boot'' fine but like stated i get a black screen, again the black screen IS NOT on windows its as soon as the pc is turned on i see no computer logo so i cannot go to uefi

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Tough one to call so I will just list what I would try:
    1) inspect the card VERY closely, look for burning (especially around capacitors and resistors) and possibly dirty slot connections.
    2) be sure the computer works with on board video without the card. Change nothing and insert the card. Does the on board video still work?
    3) Try each slot as above, if you get a boot into windows see if the Device Manager sees the video card and what model it sees.
    4) post any progress or failure. If none of the above has results the card is probably bad or not worth your time.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Well after numerous tries i managed to get it to work

I found the disable option in the uefi settings but it still wouldn't register the card.

When i had the card inserted and booted from the onboard video i looked at the device manager and the card would not show up only the onboard intel HD display.

I looked at the card and it didn't seem like anything was wrong with it, the person who gave it to me verified that it did work but that he hadn't used it in a while because it was just stored in his garage.

The only thing i noticed after further looking at it that the gold contacts were a little dirty so i did the same thing when i got some memory that wasn't working.

I got a pencil put a bit of 99% isopropyl alcohol and rubbed the eraser against the video cards contacts and then blew air on the contacts.

Then 20 minutes later i inserted the video card and it worked , installed the drivers for it and all seems to be working well at the moment.

Any idea why the onboard video is still sucking 512mb of my ram when i am using a video card though?

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Congratulations on getting it working!
    You will continue to use both video unless you disable the on board in the BIOS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds