No Drives On Laptop...Please Help....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gabe1972, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Gabe1972

Gabe1972 Private E-2

I had a Fujitsu Lifebook B2620 notebook given to me the other day. My question is this. How do I install the OS? This thing has no drives. It has two USB ports, and in the bios it can boot from either a USB floppy or the hard drive. Any ideas? Will a bootable CD drive somehow work? It's got two of those pcmia slots. I'm at a loss. A port replicator and drive for it are going to be almost as much as buying a cheap Dell notebook. I have a desktop, as that is what I am typing on, but I don't know of any way of networking the cd drive in this to load an operating system on the notebook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Id say the easiest way to go about this is to find someone with an external cd drive.

You could also try and place the hardrive in another laptop with a cd drive and install the os on that machine then transfer the harddrive back to your machine.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Take the drive out of the laptop and put it in your desktop with an adapter (example) .
    Then format the laptop drive
    make a system files directory
    copy the files from the OS cd to the directory you've created
    then shutdown the desktop..
    put the drive in the laptop and boot
    go into the system files directory
    start the installation.

Should run about $10 bucks

4. Gabe1972

Gabe1972 Private E-2

I ordered the adapter earlier before I even read your post. Saw that option after doing a bunch of research. I ordered a different one, but same idea. I would love to do the directory thing like you said but I have no clue as to how to create a directory on a blank drive, let alone copy all of the OS files into that directory. Wish I did, as that would be like having a recovery partition. I was just going to install the OS while it was in my desktop, then put it back in the laptop. The other way would be better, but like I said, no clue how to do it. If you had a few minutes to type an explaination on how to do that, it would be greatly appreciated, but if not, that's cool too. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  5. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

When you hook the drive to the desktop it will just show up in my computer as another harddrive. You create a new directory by Right Click -> New -> Folder. The insert the cd into your cd-drive and copy and paste the contents of the cd into the folder you have just created.

6. Gabe1972

Gabe1972 Private E-2

Well. Unfortunately I don't have a second drive hookup on my ide cable going to my hard drive. Can I do it off of the second IDE cable, the one that connects to the cdrw and DVD and just disconnect the DVD and hook the drive on there?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds