no firewall,no internet,no services, help!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by hogdigerdy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. hogdigerdy

hogdigerdy Private E-2

hello turned on the pc this morning and noticed the toolbar/taskbar had changed, looks like old windows style (silver/grey very square) i have no internet connection or system restore or firewall.

system restore message reads 'system restore is not able to protect your computor please restart and then run system restore again' rebooted and still the same
    firewall message reads 'windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running, do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service' click yes and get 'windows cannot start firewall or internet.
    internet connections, is empty
    then tried services (through control panel/admin' tools/services)and just about everything is off. tried to start programes and system restore reads error 1053:the service did not respond.
    firewall reads error 1068 the dependancy failed to start
    help & support reads error 1053: the service did not respond

i have scanned with superantispyware pro, spybot SD, malewarebytes and eset nod32 all clear
    i can't run the full run&readme process as i can't download combofix or mgtools
    this may be a case of malgers (malicious fingers) rather than malware
    if someone can please help i would be very greatfull

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

The READ & RUN ME is only going to help in cases of malware issues. If some one has been dsiabling key services on this PC in an attempt to "tweak" things then you are posting in the wrong forum. I would recommend the Software Forum if that is what has been done.

Is this the same PC we just fixed here? http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=168293

3. hogdigerdy

hogdigerdy Private E-2

hi chaslang

no that was my dads and thanks again for your help, the problems i am having now are on my pc, the pc was fine when my wife closed it down on wednesday night, thursday morning the above probs were evident and my eldest had stayed over, he probably thought he was being helpfull (clever!!) but ended up making it worse than useless, i thought it could also have been a virus that didn,t show up untill after the pc was rebooted.
    so i posted my question here as i'm not sure if i'm in the right forum either but i thought someone would kindly move it if needs be.

hogdigerdy

4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Your best bet is to try working this out in the Software Forum (so I will move this thread). Services have dependencies to other services and the have to be enabled in the proper order. I will give a link below which may also be helpful to look up dependencies.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has been disabled, you can have all kinds of problems getting anything to work and sometime getting it reenabled can be a chore. You can read about RPC here:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/Remote_Procedure_Call_(RPC).htm

5. hogdigerdy

hogdigerdy Private E-2

hi chaslang

thanks for your assistance with this problem and for pointing me in the right direction, hopefully someone here will be able to show me how to get this mess sorted out.

hello

about all i can add to the above is that waiting in my automatic downloads was sp3 which iv'e been putting off and ATI radeon which i downloaded some time ago and it did the same thing to my toolbar/taskbar, i dont no about the internet, but i no system restore was ok cos thats how i got out of that mess so if my pc was turned on then thay might have been downloaded i certainly didn't download them thanks

hogdigerdy

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. hogdigerdy

hogdigerdy Private E-2

no its SP2 i should have checked that:eek:

yes i can open it but thats where i'm getting the second lot of warning messages from, i cant turn anything on and as i said just about everything is off i,m completely flummoxed:confused if you could shed any light i would be most greatfull:)

8. hogdigerdy

hogdigerdy Private E-2

hello
    my question started off in the maleware forum and was kindly moved here so i already had 4 replies and may have been overlooked, if anyone can help i would be most grearfull
    thanks hogdigerdy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds