No Firewall or System Restore after XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Software' started by mannshands, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mannshands

mannshands Private First Class

Hi,
    I did a format/reinstall of XP Home SP2 on a Medion MD9783 laptop. On reboot I had no IE shortcuts/access and I got error: framedyn.dll not found and Srclient.dll not found. Ran SFC /SCANNOW. No help. I followed MS support, found the misplaced framedyn.dll and copied it to another folder as instructed in the %SystemRoot% and checked the Path variable. Rebooted. Error msg is gone. Reinstalled IE8. Now that is fixed. However I now see that I have no restore points(I made one right after the OS install), cannot create a restore point(error msg says reboot and try again, but it won't work) and I cannot access Windows Firewall. I followed MS instructions for System Restore reinstall, no help. Firewall icon leads to a error msg that says that service isn't running, trying to start it when it offers the option to start the Firewall/ICS Service fails and another error pops up saying Firewall/ICS can not be started. The System Restore service is listed in Services as started. I ran MBAM and SAS(both full sys), all clean. Combofix stalled at "stage 1" of the scan and closes by it's self. Twice. Felt it best to not try a third time. SAS repair tool for fixing system restore, and kellys-korner system restore fixes failed.
    Sorry if that was a bit confusing, but I have been buried in forums and support sites and digging into parts of the computer foreign to me, all night. Any help?
    Thanks y'all
    mannshands

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Likely not the advice you want to hear and one I dont normally advise on, but in your case with a new install and the issues you are having it maybe wise to do a new clean install as it seems this one has suffered some corruption and while you maybe able to fix it given some time, you also may not.

Was the install disk a restore one from Medion or is it a retail XP one (not a downloaded or burned backup but the original, as many burned ones can suffer from corruption as they are burned from the ISO too quickly).

And make sure you install the Chipset driver first and reboot then install the others, drivers are HERE and just enter your model version into the Full Text search bar for the driver downloads.

and dont install any 3rd party software until the Laptop seems to be working ok.

3. mannshands

Thanks for the tips. I did a repair install with the same old HP made XP install disc I have been using for all my computers. It has never failed me before and just successfully installed on another pc. So disk is ok.
    The old problems are fixed and all files still intact! But now I have no Page file system. I get an error msg that a temporary page file was created and I should change my PF settings. I tried that, set to min 500, max 1000(my RAM=350Mb), I get a msg to restart to effect changes, but after restart the No PF Sys error returns, with an additional mention that my PF system may be larger than indicated.:confused
    Did SCANNOW again. No change. I am about to try MS proceedure for:
    Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270
    Is there another fix for PF Sys I am unaware of?
    Cheers
    mannshands

4. mannshands

Never mind. I got it sorted. Did a full reinstall(without a reformat) with an old XP Pro cd I had laying around. Guess what? It installed correctly AND kept all the drivers I had installed AND the Avira install was intact! Brilliant!

Thanks for the assisstance
    :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds