no HD in new dell laptop. What can i do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ordnance11, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordnance11

Ordnance11 Private E-2

my buddy gave me a laptop be fore he left for college. Its a dell latitude 820 it has the core 2 duo sticker on it along with an xp pro tag on the bottom with the product key. It dosent have a HD though. i have an external HD will that work? how would i go about getting this laptop up and going? where would i get all the right programs and find xp pro to install? thankz

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Put a new laptop hard disk in it.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Adrynalyn is right. I looked on Dell's site, and if you have a D820, this should be a link for the type of hard drive you need: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=04&ModelSelection=167692&category_id=5694

You may need the plastic parts in this link: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd820/en/sm/hddrive.htm#wp1111657

If you need the plastic parts, you will probably have to get them from Dell, or maybe FleaBay. The hard drive I would not buy from Dell, you can find one much cheaper elsewhere, the link is to help find the correct drive type.

You can buy an OEM XP Pro for not a whole lot of money. Make sure the one you buy has Service Pack 2 on it or you will be updating forever.

E

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

It isn't XP pro, but I have several XP install disks for Dell that have never been opened. If you're interested write me a PM.

5. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

If theres a product key on the bottom, you don't need to buy windows. Just track down a install disk for the same version as your key.

6. n3et

n3et Private E-2

With the computer serial number, you may be able to order a set of CD's from Dell. I did this with HP and it cost about $17.

Also I got a free XP SP2 CD from Microsoft. I was also able to download it from Microsoft. You have to search their site unless someone else has the URL.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Any Dell Xp disk will work with ANY dell - laptop or desktop. No keys are needed.Even Media edition will work on any dell that had Xp home or Pro...even ME or 2000!Dell will send you a new set of install disks for your computer for free if you have xp or vista. IF you can find the webpage to ask for them. Also most dell laptops have to have a adaptor for there hard drive and any size will do.Just make sure WHAT kind of hard drive as in ide or sata! But using a external HD to install an OS??? Never heard of that...anyone done that before?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Old thread.

At any rate, some research may need to be done on SLP media and what it means. That said, using anything from Dell other than what they provide is nothing short of piracy and we do not condone that here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds