No HDMI output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rewel, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rewel

Rewel Private E-2

Hi,

Since a lot of my pc problems I solve by searching this forum as well, I turn to you guys with my latest problem for which I can not find an answer.

There is no output on my HDMI port and I wonder if there is a way to check if it is a hardware problem?

I have new pc (win7, ASUS gtx660) and was trying to get HDMI out to TV. I couldn't get pc to list the TV as display option (within Win7 and NVIDIA app). I tested with two HDMI cables and in addition with two TVs. But later I discovered that I don't get picture to my monitor via HDMI either (DVI and DP work perfectly). Since I see people are having a lot of problems with HDMI to TV connection with Win7, there might still be a driver issue (even though I updated everything, including graphic card BIOS).

I've had a hardware failure recently - USB 2.0 ports on motherboard failed (I had to replace it) and laser jet printer failed at the same time (was connected to USB 2.0 ports; printer board was replaced). Still don't know what was the initiating event.

Thank you so much for your help!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Is your Windows 7 OS fully up to date and at SP1?
    Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

I would first off check that on the TV you have chosen the right HDMI port connection via the remote control options, sounds a simple thing but as many TVs have multiple HDMI ports its often overlooked.

Do the same with your monitor as they can switch between DVI and HDMI if the said Monitor has both options, it could just need swapping over to HDMI.

Lastly I would completely uninstall your graphics driver and use this application Driver Fusion (note the warning on 3rd party bundled applications and check the install and only install the application and not the bundled software) and uninstall the driver.

Then re-install the latest NVidia driver from ASUS HERE for your model, reboot and test. I would have linked directly to the driver but don't know if your 32bit/64bit and the exact model of card.

3. Rewel

Rewel Private E-2

- Yes, OS is up to date, including SP1.
    - I have Win7 64
    - I was swapping between input on all devices, so no problem there.
    - As for the driver: The pc is 6 months old and the hardware failure happened a few weeks ago. At the time I just replaced the motherboard w/o reinstalling OS. But I later had problems with HDD and experienced occasional blue screens. Finally I had the OS reinstalled yesterday. For the graphic card (GTX660-DC2O-GD5) the latest NVIDIA driver was taken from ASUS website that you linked to. I even updated the card's VBIOS with the tool available from ASUS. So, I don't think your recommendation would help.

From the beginning the HDMI port worked, I could extend desktop over to TV. But at some point it stopped working. I had to use "force TV" from NVIDIA app to enable TV to be recognized by pc. But later that didn't work either. Now with fresh install I believed that it would again normally work.

I am now thinking to overcome this by using DVI-D to HDMI adapter to get at least picture to my TV. But I am still concerned that there is something wrong with the graphic card. I could replace it though, it's still under warranty.

Thank you for answering!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds