No High Speed Capabilities

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarginalMartyr, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MarginalMartyr

MarginalMartyr Private E-2

So, just recently I had to reinstall windows on account of a booting up issues to where I could never get to explorer without it crashing at the loading screen and spitting me right back out at the beginning.

Now I've started the heartbreaking process of adding all the old programs, drivers, and what have you back to the new version. But when I installed my nvidia nforce chipset drivers, for some reason the computer isn't recognizing the Ethernet port or something so under my network connections list there's only the 1394 connection and my wireless connection that I'm using now (a painful 50/kbs :cry). And before I had the booting issue I had all the same hardware settings, the wires were exactly as they are now and I was able to use my high speed Internet.

I've tried installing the driver numerous times, reinstalled windows a SECOND time and installed the driver first, trying to make the LAN connection through a windows wizard, pretty much anything else I can think of save for opening the case up and having a look.

Any ideas?

The motherboard is a KN9 Sli, I'm running XP.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

That's cuz you don't use any sorts of backup software. I use Acronis True Image that backs up my whole C drive while I sleep every night. If s*** happens, it takes me 10 mins to get back to yesterday. Oh & did I mention that I can restore select files/folders? The whole backup archive is a virtual drive that can be accessed in My Computer. ATI also back up email & app settings. How about that?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

What's your WIFI make & model? Google for the latest driver. Did you optimize your network & what software did you use? Use that to optimize it again. Google "pc wizard" & use that to post your specs here.

3. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The drivers for this motherboard can be found:
    http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...ME=KN9+SLI&fMTYPE=Socket AM2&pPRODINFO=Driver

It sounds to me from your description that the "chipset" driver is your problem.Often if the chipset driver isn't installed first, other drivers will not load properly.

There are two different ones listed for this board (Nvidia and Nforce).
    Check which video adapter is on your board and install the same chipset driver.

There is no specific driver listed for your LAN but it indicates that it is integrated into the motherboard so the chipset driver may well include the driver for the LAN

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds