No input go to power save, or lock-up/

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grillaman, Oct 23, 2008.

1. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Hi everygeek, first post newbie, be gentle and sloooow. Bit of a long post just trying to give all relevant(?) Info.

Sony Vaio Pcvrz221, 3.06gig, Pentium4, 512meg ram, Nvidia Geforce4T4600, 300watt PSU. Standard,nothing altered.

Started up Google Earth, had Ramfreer in notice area it began to countdown, normal, never noticed before, CRASH.
    Hard boot>sony screen>windows xp screen>black screen> no input going to power save. Nothing.
    Few more hard boots later decided to reload recovery disks. Same as same as. Full factory reload...same as.
    Removed panel good clean out. Removed graphics card checked for anything obvious, ditto ram chip and HD. All fans running, green light on mobo.
    restart, you guessed, same as!
    Some times would start in safe mode but of late freezes at line ???? ... Windows\system32\drivers\M???.sys (still garbled by ascii characters).
    Will sometimes restart after minute or so back to safe mode etc. screen but often as not just stops.
    As I type it was in its frozen state for about 30 mins and has now just gone to sleep!!.
    Wishing&Hoping..Grillaman.

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks....You said you used the recovery disk does this disk have an Operating System on it ie. Windows XP or Vista ??? and did it install and how old is the computer and is the 300 Watt PSU the original and is this a desktop Computer and have you had any problems before no matter how minor ??? If you could give us a bit more of its history we may be closer to defining your problem. ;)

3. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Nice to meet Ya,

Desk top, XP Home, original PSU, 5/6years old, no specific probs I can think of. Few software issues, Giga Pocket and Sonic Stage but thats Sony for you. If any thing else pops up will let you know.
    Cheers.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

First I would try taking the memory stick out and reseating it and see the result, I take it you will do the necessary safety procedure like power right off taking out power plug and ground yourself first to rid body of any static. If you get the same result try another memory stick. Then post back :)

5. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Cheers Toke,
    Just ordered a couple of new sticks (live in wildest Wales) so I will post back as soon as they arrive, 3/5 days (I'me a cheap-scate).
    Again many thanks!! :) Grillaman.

6. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Back at last.
    Well I inserted the new ram strips (all precautions taken) and started back up.
    Loaded almost normally, still a bit of gobbledegook on the early screens but eventually got the desktop. The resolution was as it should be, 1024x768 however the icons were just black and white cross hatches. The mouse and keyboard were non functial. Had to do a hard boot then the res went back to lowest poss. Carried on and eventually able to re-register and activate Windows. Loaded internet software and after uninstalling nvidia driver went to their site and downloaded and installed the new ones. Restart> back to original problem. SNAFU... Eventually after trying everything again and again had the bright idea of a system restore. Went back before Re Reg Windows but now I hadnt got a display!! Reload Widows , still the same prob as original post. All t*ts up totally stuck.
    Ideas or basket case.
    Many thanks in antic. Grillaman

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Ummm. The 300 watt PSU is rather small and 5/6 years old am thinking that it may be not functioning to its full capacity, have you another around or could you borrow one of a bigger wattage to try and see if that resolves the prob. I,m trying the power of elimination so if you can beg one to try out first before you purchase. Do you hear any strange noises like ''Clicks or Clunks'' which would be an indication of HD probs.also who is the manufacturer of your hard Drive ???

8. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Well thanks for the quick post,
    I am running (trying) with the side of the case open at the moment, however
    No clicks etc quiet as it always was.
    HDD Maxtor Diamondmax 9
    160 Gb ATA 133.

When I could actually see something I hit F2 the temps & power was,,
    MB temp 29c
    CPU temp 44.5c

CPUfan 1795rpm
    Power fan 1250 rpm

Vcore volt 1.4
    +3.3 v --3.2volt
    +5 v -- 5.0volt
    +12v -- 11.7volt

Not sure about a loan etc not many geeks in this area, have to get back to U.
    Thanks again.. Grillaman

9. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Do you hear any 'BEEPS' from motherboard when it boots up as this will give an indication of where the fault lies. To find out what your Bios is download this http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html then having found your Bios name go here http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Motherboard/BIOSbeep.shtml#Award BIOS look for your bios and see if you recognise any corresponding beep errors in the chart. Another thought is that you have a small battery on your motherboard which is quite inexpensive to replace and after 5 years this could be on the way out. If you look on the mobo its a silver round battery just smaller than a 10 P piece, it has a clip on it, squeeze and remove not forgetting to earth yourself on a sink tap etc. to rid body of any static. This could be what the prob is so if you try this first then post back. :)

10. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

ok with the battery, will get one.
    Started up to listen.. single beep as the bios loaded (?) as the initial Sony screen appeared. As far as I remember that was all that used to happen when it was OK. Anyway it continued to load to the XP initialisation screen, set area, date time etc..loaded internet software then next screen finished initialisation.. auto restart.. Windows starting up then black screen..or so I thought. Looking at the screen I noticed a couple of bright dots (a pixel or so each) at the top left of the screen. Went to monitor menu and found that I could move them a couple of cms vert and horizontally.. it is though the whole display is compressed into this area.. any thoughts ?
    Hoping. Disconnected monitor from wall socket for 15 mins, back in no change, been running now for 30 mins or so.. any thoughts..Grillaman

11. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Single BEEP should be A OK .. all main sytems with no faults, so I shall wait for the outcome of the battery replacement :p Shall have a long think on your blinking dos screen .. us silver surfers brains aint what they used to be lol

12. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Incidentally grillaman take your old battery out and take it along to your nearest 'COMET'' store as they are a lot cheaper than PC shops should be around £3.20p ....

13. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Cheers, but try argos, CR2032 £3.49 for a pair !!

14. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Ok, changed battery, switched on> went to bios screen, trouble is (was) the characters are so mixed up with hex and some others I have no name for that it is impossible to work out what it says so I am creeked and paddleless. Just managed to work out how to exit and save changes , even though I dont remember making any.
    Began startup,single beep, Sony, XP screen, total gibberish(mixed characters) then go to power save etc.
    After a couple of mins auto restart, Gibberish yet I know it said that system shut down unexpectedly etc, start up options, went for safe with networking but now comes the rub..... Windows hasnt been activated, and cant be in safe mode so bu**er o**.
    Big Q is there any way around this windows activation so I can at least have a look around?
    Hoping Grillaman

15. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Stet
    Restart>F2>Exit>managed to work out which line was set BIOS default>Exit saving changes(again had to use the force to see it)>Windows activation screen.... cool.. back with some display, even internet connection!! Still running at SP1 dont want to risk a restart at pres.

Problems
    Resolution 640x480.. usually 1024x768
    odd coloured blocks on a regular loose chequerboard pattern.

Ideas
    Cheers Grillaman

16. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Can you not get to Control Panel/Display Settings and change your resolution in there ???

17. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Yes tried all that just reverts even when it seems to accept the change!! Put the Cd in for the monitor tried to alter it there said that 'The graphics mode is not supported by the computer or video card'.. well it was before.. drivers or card? Last time I download from Nvidia it all went t*ts up.

18. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Mornin' all.
    Left system on for about 5hrs before closing.
    Swiched on at 0600 and it started normally direct to desktop. now thats a first!!
    Resolution still as previous post. Maybe the battery change did more than was apparent last night?
    Still display probs: Ideas any one, Try a post on Software maybe?

19. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Well we are getting somewhere as I could have put money on it that it was a flat CMOS Battery.;) Try reseating the video card again like release it then replace boot up and then try driver update.I know you said it went wrong last time but if computer not running 100% it could of prevented a full install ....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

20. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

21. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Evening(ish) Just read your posts, should have looked earlier maybe!
    Well powered down, waited, powered up, went through starting screens the to black screen, (the one with the two white pixels in top left corner), had a think. I was sure that the screen had collapsed into that inch square. Put the invisible mouse cursor over that area and double clicked.. quick flash of a screen of death then restart. As it was booting toward the welcome screen I pressed on the corner of the graphics card, quite firmly and hey presto the resolution was as it should be....gasp of amazement.
    It found my wireless connection .. Windows error report STOP 0x000000EA Thread stuck in device.. Driver (Q293078) so I downloaded the new drivers.. restart.. almost perfect just a pale brown mesh over the entire screen, not an immediate prob (it also didnt show up on a screen capture?) Bit the bullet loaded SP2. restart could see that the resolution was low again so bent the card again, yipee. Windows then took over downloading years of updates inc SP3. Got hold of CC cleaner and Avast still ok. Then the screen locked. restart 640 graphics..reloaded new drivers. Cool. Updated loads of progs, Media player etc...decided to connect speakers, headphones replace case side.. locked.
    Now it is up and down, resolution ok (except for grid or strange lines that are in front of the screen) but keeps locking.
    Enough info yet??
    Thanks again Grillaman

22. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Well this now sounds like its not only battery prob but your Graphics card is on the way out ''UNLESS' you have not seated it correctly. There should be a resounding ''SNAP' when you seat the card, look to see if the catch has gone accross on the right lower side of the card. It sometimes takes quite a force to get them in taking care to keep it level at all times.

23. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Mornin' Toke'
    Actually checking the graphics card as your post came in. Had a close visual with a powerful glass, nothing obvious, like capacitors or dry joints etc. Did notice that the fan was not seated tightly to the chip. Removed it and re-seated it as best as I could without any new grease (where would I get that around here??)... Refitted it started up..same as..resolution OK sysyem locked, even though the wireless dongle was active..Hard re-boot.. back to original prob.. NO INPUT GO TO POWER SAVE..GRRRRRRRRRILLAMAN. Got a big hammer I can borrow?

24. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Ok So you will need some 'ARTIC SILVER' Thermal paste which you can get on Ebay or an Online store then you will also need some 'ACETONE' to remove the old paste, this can be got at 'Boots' or any local pharmacy. When you have carefully removed the fan, use a lint free cloth with which to apply the acetone to remove old paste and use some protection for your hands. I use the plastic gloves that car mechanics use today. Then apply thermal paste (but dont over do it) and reassemble fan. Good luck and post back with result. :major

25. grillaman

grillaman Private E-2

Hi sorry its been so long, had to go away for a while.
    Tried that, still the same.. going to get a new graphics card, something I can use with the original 300watt psu... not as easy as it sounds, all the good ones want twice that.. (any suggestions) Well onward and upward, at least sideward(word?) Thanks again for all of your help.
    Grillaman

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds