No internet access on my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonyrush, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I have a Dell Latitude laptop that was getting wireless access fine. I was checking out my function keys and I think I turned off my wireless antenna. When I go into Network Connections, it reads that I am connected to my wireless, but IE and Firefox will not allow me to surf. I was told that I may have hit a function key combo that turned off my antenna. Any ideas on how to turn it back on? Dell told me that Fn + F2 should do it, but where are you supposed to be when you use that keystroke? Thanks for any ideas.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

There should be a picture of something that looks like a wireless antenna on one of the f keys. Using the function key+ another key can be used just about anytime. You might also have a switch to turn it on and off.

but, since it's showing as connected, it seems to me that it's on. you might need to further look into it. What operating system are you using?

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

If you open a command prompt and type
    ping www.yahoo.com

Does it ping? If yes, then you are dealing with the browser setup.

4. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I found out what the problem was. Microsoft forced me to upgrade I.E. After the upgrade it works fine. Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds