no Internet after putting password on netgear router - help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodsleighroc, Sep 15, 2010.

1. woodsleighroc

woodsleighroc Private E-2

grrrrr - so frustrated. have spent blinkin hours trying to sort this out.
    got a Netgear DG854GT wireless router and stupidly decided to put password on it (the WEP thingy) - now there is no Internet connection although the router is working with good signal etc. I have tried resetting it, rebooting it, fiddling with all the settings on the netgear setup page,etc.
    Does anyone know what I have done wrong? I only put the passphrase on cos it kept warning me the network was insecure.
    would really appreciate any help - thanks.
    my laptop is running windows 7
    (I even managed to get the DOS screen up to look but didn't really understand all the blurb. thanks again in anticipation someone more knowledgable than me (not hard) can help

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Retirednow

Retirednow Private E-2

You need to delete the old wireless profile on your pc and reboot, when it comes up you will need to enter the key into the wireless on the pc when it asks for it.

3. woodsleighroc

woodsleighroc Private E-2

thanks so much RetiredNow - I messed around so much trying to sort it out - then finally... during Netgear setup, realised after the page requiring password and user name (default admin password) - the Pop thingy came up and had to putmy Internet address and password in, and hey presto, the IP address was found and Internet connection established ..... bliss...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds