No internet?? Cant understand why!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShadyBlackCoupe, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ShadyBlackCoupe

ShadyBlackCoupe Private E-2

Well my friend is with NTL and have broadband through the motorola surfboard modem.
    His internet is currently not working, all leads are connected as they should be but it still shows in the system tray that a lead is connected, red cross.

I have changed the ethernet cable, uninstalled and reinstalled his network card, checked all connections are tight but still it wont work. Running ipconfig in cmd shows media disconnected, even though all lights are present on the modem, even the pc activity light.

A repair guy from PC world i think came out today, tried the usual stuff, also preceeded to swap the motherboad with a new one, still never worked so he said oh it must be the modems fault (even though NTL have said everything looks fine with the modem from there end).

I have the same modem, so I have just swapped my friends "supposedly" broken one with mine and it works fine, im able to go on the net.

So im stumped as to what it could be thats stopping the internet working on my friends computer, as its not the ethernet cable, modem, motherboard????

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Use the ipconfig with the /renew option.
    See if that helps?

3. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Even though NTL claims the modem is ok, all they can verify is that the connection from NTL to the modem, unless they're running diagnostics on the modem.

Obviously, if you switched out the modem & yours works (his don't) it's the modem no matter what NTL says.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Check that no network devices in Device Manager have yellow ! marks, re-install motherboard chipset or the network card drivers.

If the network is onboard the motherboard, check in Bios that the LAN ports are enabled.

A firewall shouldnt cause an issue but if he has a software one installed disable it just to rule it out as a potential cause.

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If all else fails phone them again (Virgin Media now I believe) and have a rant and ask them to reset the line.

6. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you tried connecting from the NTL modem directly into your ethernet card ??

7. ShadyBlackCoupe

Just says media disconnected

No sorry dont know if i was unclear, I bought his home with me and tried his on my connection and it works fine, mine and his modem work as they should

Yes no yellow ! marks in device manager, mobo was swapped out for a new one today by tech guy and i have reinstalled the NIC a few times now...
    what do you mean if the network is onboard the mobo? I will have a look around BIOS settings

Yes I will ask them to do this

No, how do you do this?

8. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You could always try this.

9. ShadyBlackCoupe

thanks will give it a try

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds