No internet connection WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cranport, Dec 11, 2011.

1. cranport

cranport Private E-2

I need help please:

trying to get my fathers laptop up and running again and having no luck using the usual fixits from these forums.

Windows XP
    Home edition
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

Dell Latitude D830
    0.99 GB of RAM

I previously fixed this machine using the directions from the Malware forum so all of the appropriate programs are already installed, but cannot get on internet to update them.

Have tried to run from safe mode with networking but IE will not load, windows firewall will not start because the ICS will not start, the error tells me the support group of programs wont start

I had previoulsy loaded AVG free on here but when he started having problems he allowed someone to work on his machine and now it has Avast on it, don't know if it is any good or not but cannot get rid of it and can't get on the internet to download latest AVG.

Sorry for the lenghty explanation but I have to start somewhere!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

2. thelaptopguru

thelaptopguru Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  3. PrissyChrissy

PrissyChrissy Private E-2

Hmmm, there are a few things to check first.

Open the CMD (start, accessories, command prompt).

On the line type 'Ping 127.0.0.1' without the '
    If you fail, then your software is off or not working.

Type 'ipconfig /all'
    Does it say media disconnected or provide you with an ip address?

Next, type in 'mmc devmgmt.msc' without the '
    This will open the device manager for you.

Go to Network Adapters, click the + to expand.
    Right click and select properties. Does it say that it is working? Upgrade the drivers here too.

This will give you a good start. :) (It isn't always a winsock problem. Try the FixIts at Microsoft too!)

4. cranport

cranport Private E-2

Thanks, was able to download on my laptop and load on his, it ran but didn't seem to make any difference

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  5. cranport

cranport Private E-2

Thank you for the help! Heres what happened:
    Ping was successful, ipfonfig/all showed "media disconnect" , decive manager would not show properties

6. PrissyChrissy

PrissyChrissy Private E-2

Software inside to run the nic is running because you could in a sense ping yourself. Media disconnected can be a few things ...

1. Drivers are not loaded or incorrect drivers - check the specs for your pc and load new drivers. Run Windows Updates. (Need to be Admin.)
    2. You disabled the card - start orb, control panel, network and sharing center, on the left click change adapter settings .... right click the connection and choose enable
    3. Your router is not plugged in, you didn't pay your bill (OK, I forget this one), bad cable ....

If the adapter is enabled and you checked all of no.3, try right clicking the connection in the change adapter settings window and choose status. Disable it. Enable it.

Still not working? Right click the connection again, choose properties. Re-install the TCP/IP Version again. Click it and click Install. (You might need your disk. Must be Admin.)

Check to see if you are working by going back to the CMD, command line, and doing ipconfig. Once you see an address your nic card is working.

Lastly, run this fix .... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 .... the fixit button is at the bottom of the screen. Do a save as to a thumb drive and run on the machine that needs it. The manual steps are listed below.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

If none of the suggestions above work, try this:

Note: Please read the entire post! Print it to refer to, or keep it up on another computer.

You can do the below from another computer that has Internet access. You'll need a USB memory stick, or some other means to copy the download from that computer to the D830.

Go to Dell's support site:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Enter the service tag of the D830 - it's on a label on the bottom.

You will get a page with driver selections - Verify that the drivers are for a D830, and make sure the selected OS is Windows XP 32-bit.

Download the current network drivers for the Ethernet interface, copy them to the USB memory stick and then copy them from that to the D830 - put it on the desktop.

While you're there, grab the current/last BIOS update (A10, if memory serves correctly). Copy that to the USB memory stick, too, and then to the D830.

Run the BIOS update first.

VERY important! Make SURE that the laptop is plugged into AC power, and that the battery is fully charged.

The update utility will list the current revision, and ask if you want to update to A10. If it's already at A10, then you can cancel this.

Once you confirm the update, the computer will reboot and install it. DO NOT interfere with this! Once it is applied, it will reboot.

Login to Windows.

Open the Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and remove the Ethernet interface by right-clicking on it and selecting Remove. Don't remove the drivers: This box is unchecked by default - leave it that way.

Open a CMD prompt by clicking Start, Run and type CMD and then pressing Enter.

Reset TCP/IP:

Type:

netsh int ip reset <filename> (Press Enter)

(See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357)

Replace <filename> with whatever you wish. I use the date, e.g. 01-07-12.txt

You will be returned to a CMD prompt. Reset Winsock:

Type:

netsh winsock reset (Press Enter)

(See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357)

It will tell you that you have to reboot to complete the reset: Reboot the laptop.

Windows should redetect the Ethernet interface and load drivers for it. If it doesn't have the drivers, it will prompt for them: Click cancel.

Install the Dell-provided Ethernet NIC drivers by running the program that contains the driver you previously copied to the desktop. Follow the prompts, and it will install them.

Reboot.

At this point, if it's a driver or Windows networking software issue, it should be resolved.

If not, suspect a bad Ethernet NIC.

Regards,

dj

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds