No onboard display with new ASUS P7H55-M LX mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dandla, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dandla

dandla Private E-2

aloha
    I recently purchased a bare bones system from an online e-tailer. The system came with an ASUS P7H55-M LX mobo, to house the Intel Core i5 760 (4 x 3.33GHz CPU - 8MB Cache) I ordered as an upgrade.
    The system came with 2GB of DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) RAM and I added another 2GB of the same memory.
    I installed the HD with the OS WINXPSP3-home on it, No other HD's or Optical drives or PCI cards have yet been installed.
    The MOBO has both VGA and DVI-D (dual link) on-board video connections. I hooked up a NEC AccuSync LCD92VX monitor. This monitor has both VGA and DVI-D (dual link) connections. I have used a VGA cable to connect. The VGA cable and monitor were tested on another system immediately prior to hooking them up to the new system. The monitor's On-Board Display was set to make VGA as the default signal mode.
    When powered up the monitor displays a small screen saying "1 d-sub - no signal".
    I've contacted ASUS tech help and they suggested I purchase either a new CPU or a new graphics card. Nothing said about possibly giving me some guidance as to mobo jumpers or some other type of error I might have made.
    Does anyone have any suggestions...???
    Many mahalos-n-aloha from the big Island of Hawaii,
    Konadon :-o:confused

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Looking at your mobo manual in Chapter 2 BIOS settings, if i am reading correctly, the Initiate Graphic Adapter default setting is PCIE/PCI.
    You would need to change this to the PCI/PCIE setting.
    Look on page 2-19 under 2.5.2 in your manual which should be on the support DVD that came with the mobo.

3. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha ibmest,
    That's a huge help...at least I now know that I have options to immediately buying new hardware, and I can share information with ASUS tech support so they won't give the same response to another user.
    What I don't know however, is how to change the bios setting without a monitor and without a 2nd video card. I have a Nvidia P117 (GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR 8x AGP DVI Video Card w/TV-Out), however it won't fit into any slot on the mobo.
    Any suggestions???
    Again huge mahalo's and aloha's from Hawaii,
    konadon

4. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha ibmest and all other viewers,
    I cockroached (Hawaiian slang for procured) a PCI-EX16 video card from a techie friend and was able to enter the BIOS and change the "chipset>uncore configuration>initiate Graphic Adapter" and changed the Lynnfield CPU config to PCI/PCIE. However, I then powered down and changed the mobo cable from the PCI-E card to the mobo VGA connection and booted up...to a blank screen with the same prior message of "1d-sub no signal".
    Prior to booting up with the PCI-E card, I hooked up the remaining 3 HDD's. Since I was in the BIOS, I went into the "Boot" menu and made changes to the "boot device priority", and was alarmed to see that 2 of the HDD's were not recognized, 1 of which has the OS loaded. These HDD's were IDE and I scored some IDE to SATA adapters and made all the connections, but apparently something is wrong.
    So now I have 2 hdwe issues rather than 1...
    It's getting late here in Hawaii so unless you don't have a life, I won't anticipate a reply tonight.
    Any help is fantastically appreciated. Mahalo's-n-aloha's to all.
    konadon

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Well, I have a huge splat of egg on my face.:-o
    After doing some more research on that mobo, the video setting is correct but I was interpreting it wrong. You have to have a video card, as there is no on-board video chipset.
    As to the hard drives, go back to the BIOS and make sure the settings are to AUTO in the main configuration for the SATA 1-6. That is the default setting. Recheck your cable connections also.

6. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha ibmest,:wave
    Inspite of your egg splattered face, you remain a huge help and resource. At least now I can say that ASUS tech support have some cred. And with the additional video card I have access to the BIOS for other corrections, so all is not lost.
    I still might be able to swap the Lynnfield chipset for a duplicate in the Clarkdale lineup.
    Will not get to it until monday, so a reply post on the redo of SATA BIOS settings, should be available tuesday.
    again,
    MANY MAHALO'S -N- ALOHA'S
    konadon:wave,

7. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha ibmest and all other viewers,
    Many apologies for not having followed up as planned and stated. Still haven't corrected SATA settings in BIOS.
    The subject has now changed. Need external HDD case help.
    Need to do a quick fix for access to data on 1 of the old 3.5" HDD'S from the computer now torn apart, being replaced by the new build. The HDD is a IDE drive that I converted to SATA with a simple conversion adapter called IDE2SAT25. This is 1 of the HDD's not recognized by the BIOS. Anyway, I'm now in the market for an external 3.5 " HDD case.
    My issue is I don't know what kind of connection to buy for connecting to the HDD, native IDE or converted SATA, and based on that which type of connector to look for on the other end. I'm connecting to a Dell Latitude D410, and this model features USB2.0 and external PCI slot.
    I'm lost and could use some guidance.:confused
    many mahalo's & aloha's
    konadon

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

9. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha baklogic,
    Thx for the reply and advice. As a result, I'm looking at a Sabrent ECS-U35K Ultra Slim USB 2.0 3.5-inch IDE/PATA Hard Drive Enclosure (Black).
    I'm hoping this is similar to what you sent me as an example.
    B-T-W, The state of Hawaii is made up of 5 inhabited Islands within the Hawaiian Archipalago, I live on the largest Island (Hawaii Is.) and we have only a Office Max and small brick&morter stores. The bigger chain stores are on the Island of O'ahu where Honolulu is located. We only have air trans between islands so shopping is limited because of costs to go to other islands. So, I do most of my shopping on line with free or cheap shipping.
    Mahalo&aloha,
    konadon

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sabrent ECS-U35K Ultra Slim USB 2.0 3.5-inch IDE/PATA Hard Drive Enclosure (Black).
    Yes, that is the type- aluminium case might help , too, as I gather its a bit warmer in Hawaii than here in UK- mind you sometimes we do get some very warm weeks, now, Tommorow may be 10 to 15 degrees lower, but who knows.
    If the web is cheaper and quicker for you-then I am the same way- I get most things I want through the web.

11. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha Again baklogic,
    Thx for confirming my choice in a caddie.
    today it's clear sunny & 84, with clear blue water that's about 78...that's why I live here.
    This terminates my replies to this thread.
    Mahalo&aloha,
    konadon:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds