No password required on resume - ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Oct 11, 2009.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I give up and am here begging again for your awesome expertise.

Issue: after powering down to "standby" and waiting about 30 seconds, I hit the power button to "resume" and am NOT asked for my password!

I want all aspects of resuming to require my password.

I am asked for my password as usual resuming after "restart" and "shut down" ... it's just after coming back from "standby" that everything is wide open without ANY password.

This is my son's older (2003?) Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop running XP Pro.

Toshiba power save settings override Window's Power Options (which is entirely grayed out)

Hibernate is enabled

Screen saver now set to "blank" and "require password" is checked

Experimented with User Accounts and "Change the way users log on or off" by checking and un-checking the "Use the welcome screen" option.

Ideas? Suggestions?

TIA

Dr Carl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I think I found it...

Control Panel / Toshiba Power Save Settings / (select) Full Power in upper window / Details button / System Power Mode tab / check box Prompt for password when computer goes off Standby or Hibernate. Click Apply and OK ok ok....

I did that for each of the battery power profiles in the lower window, too.

Funny think is that now, on coming off Standby, I do not get the welcome screen, I get the classic sign-in dialog box....hmmm ???

3. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

4. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

DAKz - thanx for the suggestion...

funny thing, though...I traveled to
    User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Power]
    --and the only thing under Microsoft are SystemCertificates and a WindowsMediaPlayer folders ?!?

another funny thing... under System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Power]
    --there is no Power folder.

I understand the instructions mentioned on your link said to find or CREATE the key.

I am a bit (read:VERY) hesitant to create keys...

Besides, overlooking the change from Welcome Screen to Classic sign-in, I think I got her licked!

Thank you

dr carl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

I understand that tinkering with the registry is a concern that's why I backed it up with a link, the cool part of our world is if it is wrong for 20 out of 100 people you can bet that 20 will darn sure post it as a failure while those it worked for will move on.

6. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

SO true...(guilty as charged) lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds